Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Several questions from a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Several questions from a Newbie

Hello,

Just bought a 98 s70 GLT a few days ago so i am very new to volvos. Howeve not so new to cars since i have a stage 3 wrx that i have been messing with for years. Just a few quick questions and looking for some enlightment:
1. The car has traction control button, how do i activiate it, how do i de-activite it? pressing it and holding it down for several seconds seems to have no effect what so ever. no instrament light lights up or turns off.
2. the car has ABS, but it still locks up under heavy breaking. No ABS light and the fuse is still good, any ideas?
3. the speedo work sometimes and sometimes not. just like another guy on this forum states, half of the time it work after turning the car on/off again.
4. i just noticed this tonight while driving...the circulation button (u know the one next to the AC button) and the AC on button both flashes together several times. Is this some type of trouble code? no check engine light what so ever.

Thank you for any input ahead of time!

Old 08-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Default RE: Several questions from a Newbie

1. Traction control is on unless the driver disengages it. This is from the Owner's Manual.

6 - TRAction Control System (TRACS) - option

TRACS is a system designed as an aid when starting/driving off if one of the drive wheels has poor traction due to weather conditions or the road surface and is connected to the ABS control module.
TRACS engages automatically at speeds below 25 mph (40 km/h) when one of the drive wheels loses traction. It disengages automatically when speed exceeds 25 mph (40 km/h). The sound which can be heard when the system is operating comes from the ABS system.
TRACS can be disengaged manually using the switch on the dashboard. The indicator light will come on.
2 & 3. Check this site as the problems you are having in 1, 2 & 3 seem to be related to the ABS module. Tracs is operated by the ABS.

http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/...vo_V70_ABS.htm

4. The ECC is telling you that there are fault codes stored. Have the codes read and post here for more info if necessary.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:21 AM

Bill, thank you very much for your help and feedback.
When I turn the ignition key to the I position (on, but not fully started) there are of course several lights like low coolant light, check engine light, SRS, etc however there are no ABS light and Trac. Does this straight up mean my GLT doesn't come with ABS? I checked out the manual and expected to see the ABS light but that square shows nothing but black.
The check engine light came on today and i pulled the code to be 500 which means either a speed sensor or speed light? which explains why my speedometer works only sometimes.

Is it normal to have so much eletrical problems wrong with a 9 years old volvo?

Regards

Old 08-05-2007, 06:14 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like someone removed the ABS and Tracs light bulb because they didn't want to replace the ABS module.
I would send it to the link above and also try to replace the bulbs as well.

Yes the lights on the A/C panel flashing means there is a code in the system.

Does the recirc function work normally?

Old 08-06-2007, 09:58 PM

The recirc does work properly .

My main issue with the car now is with the 500 code (speed sensor). Can anyone please provide some feed back on this issue? Is this an indication of a bad speed sensor? in subarus it is very easy to replace the speed sensor, however after talking to the volvo parts department they said i need 2 sensors, one in the bell housing another one in the tranny. is this true? thank you ahead for all of the help!

Old 08-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Code 500 where did it come from? Which system?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:13 PM

Went to autozone and had the OBDII code pulled. there is a print out and said code 500.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:20 PM

Speed sensor is most likely cause of the ABS and Tracs issues also.