Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Throttle Body Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body Questions

On the 1999 S70, non-turbo, is the throttle body a VIN-SPECIFIC part or can you just order one on-line and install it. Dealer says that the car will recognize a "foreign throttle body" and not respond to it. I think this is male cow poop!

Old 02-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The new throttle body needs to be programmed to the car by software or it will not drive.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

It is an electronic throttle body. ETM = Electronic Throttle module. Tech is right it needs to be programmed.

Your looking at spending $900-$1200 for a new one.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:12 AM

Thanks for both answers. Intermittent problem. Car idles terribly, drives in limp mode. After using car for a short errand in limp mode. Come back, restart and the car runs perfectly the rest of the day! Car has 169,000 miles on it.

Here's the scoop on the codes (provided by dealer)

IMM No fault found.
VGLA No fault found.
ETM No fault found.
SRS No fault found.
ECM-4038 Brake Vacuum - Too low vacuum DTC is found not active.
ECM-532D MIL requested by throttle uint - Faulty Signal DTC is found not active.
ECM-900E Control module, internal fault- Faulty Signal DTC is found not active.
ECM-914F Throttle position (TP) sensor 1+2 - Faulty Signal DTC is found not active.
ECM-9190 Throttle position (TP) Faulty Current DTC is found not active.
TCM No fault found.
CDM No fault found.
ABS No fault found.

They are telling me $1,100 for the throttle body repair, a few THOUSAND more for the ECM. What to DO???? How is it that I am going to have to junk a perfectly beautiful car?? and put those thousands of dollars towards a new Fusion Hybrid??? ARGHH.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dantheman
Thanks for both answers. Intermittent problem. Car idles terribly, drives in limp mode. After using car for a short errand in limp mode. Come back, restart and the car runs perfectly the rest of the day! Car has 169,000 miles on it.

Here's the scoop on the codes (provided by dealer)

IMM No fault found.
VGLA No fault found.
ETM No fault found.
SRS No fault found.
ECM-4038 Brake Vacuum - Too low vacuum DTC is found not active.
ECM-532D MIL requested by throttle uint - Faulty Signal DTC is found not active.
ECM-900E Control module, internal fault- Faulty Signal DTC is found not active.
ECM-914F Throttle position (TP) sensor 1+2 - Faulty Signal DTC is found not active.
ECM-9190 Throttle position (TP) Faulty Current DTC is found not active.
TCM No fault found.
CDM No fault found.
ABS No fault found.

They are telling me $1,100 for the throttle body repair, a few THOUSAND more for the ECM. What to DO???? How is it that I am going to have to junk a perfectly beautiful car?? and put those thousands of dollars towards a new Fusion Hybrid??? ARGHH.
Do you know if your car ever had the RECALL done on the Electronic Throttle Module? If it hasn't you could try to get it replaced for free. But I think they have stopped doing this and are now just cleaning them and or if a replacement is needed they throw the cost to you.

Yes the ECM (ECU) is expensive because yet again it is something that is married to your car specifically. Thusly you cannot go to another 1999 s70 and take that ECM (ECU) and place it in your car. The 1999+ models are specifically programmed to each individual car.

Your in a tight bind it seems. I would try to get them to replace the ETM for free under the recall. If they wont then think long and hard about the repairs that lay ahead of you. If it was me personally and I could afford to sell the car AS IS and get something else be it a 1998 or earlier Volvo or another car brand altogether I would.

There comes a point in every cars life that it is just time to sell and buy new or used and stop repairing it. Your car in perfect condition is probably only worth $5,000 right now so your putting about half that into the car with these repairs. So is it worth it to you to fix it and keep it or sell it and get something else?

Personally I own a 1999 s70 awd. I loved it when I first got it, then it started having problems. The ETM went, I was able to get it under the recall and get a refund of the money I did spend to have it replaced. Then the radiator went and so on and so forth. Right now I would love to sell it and get another brand of car. But I cannot afford to do so. I would if I could.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes it sounds like you need a new ETM. But it also seems since it is a 99 you will be out by time. It is 10 years 200,000 miles which ever comes first.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:18 AM

The software upgrade was performed under the recall notice in February 2007. I wish I knew a reputable non-dealer shop in the area. I have a used throttle body to try out (husband works in the auto salvage, aka junk yard, business) and I notice that they sell aftermarket ones for waaaay less than the $850 Volvo wants for the part alone. Otherwise, the car runs terrible for the first trip out in the morning, then runs perfectly normally for the rest of the day, so I may just drive it that way.