Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Timing Belt Replacement Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Replacement Questions

My wife just got a 99 S70 FWD 2.4L non-turbo. It has just under 100K on the clock and to my knowledge the timing belt has never been replaced. I have some questions about the timing belt replacement on this car. First, how long should I expect to pay for labor to swap it out? I am figuring on having the water pump replaced at the same time as well as the idler and tensioner pulley that are in there too. When looking at parts online, I see some sites list a hydraulic piston for the tensioner too. Is this correct or does it fit another make and model? Also, I have seen some sites list the number of teeth on the belt as 142 and others as 148 depending on the serial number of the engine. Again, is this a parts store database error or is this correct? I am planning on using Dayco products for the belt, tensioner pulley and idler as that is what my local parts house carries. Anyone have any opinions about Dayco? They also stock GMB brand water pumps which I was planning on buying as I have heard they are very good but, again, looking for opinions on the quality. The last thing I am interested in hearing is if it is normal procedure to replace the crankshaft seal(s) and front and rear cam seals while it is all open or if the seals are not prone to failure and should not be disturbed? Any and all information on this will be greatly appreciated and I have already gotten a lot of knowledge just by reading through the threads so far. Thanks in advance for any and all responses, opinions and comments.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If you read through many threads, you already know that most would recommend you replace everything in the line because it's all over 10 years old. You may have also noticed that I DO NOT recommend replacing a water pump that is NOT leaking. That goes for cam seals.

Not 100% sure about your parts needed, i.e. tensioner, however, that is why most of us get parts from FCP and iPd. Those folks know what you need and have the kits that match your motor sn. The sn does matter in many applications. On my '95, the PCV system changes 1/2 way through the year. My early sedan has a different breather box than my later wagon.

If you keep the breather system cleaned/serviced, you may never have a problem with cam seals. You should also know that many have claimed that after market seals have lasted less than 2 years while oem seals have lasted 10+ years. You will learn that most items are best left oem when dealing with a volvo. FCP and iPd will both tell you the status of the parts they sell, if better, equal or sub OEM quality.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply rspi. It is interesting that you do not recommend replacing the water pump while it is accessible. With my luck, it would start leaking as soon as it as was all back together. As far as the cam seals and crank seal goes, I see your point of view on that stuff. I will contact FCP and see what they have for a kit. Thanks again for the info and if anyone else has anything to add, such as what I can expect to be charged for in terms of labor time and any clarification on the 142 versus 148 tooth timing belt, it will be appreciated. The serial number I got from the timing cover is 167####.

Last edited by Up And Down; 09-19-2011 at 05:01 PM.