Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Volvo S70 - Evap Error Code

Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo S70 - Evap Error Code

Hey all,

From what I've ascertained by using the search option, this is a pretty common error code when a CEL is on. However, while I'd like to think my problem is a common and easy fix, I have a feeling it will be a long case of trial and error.

Brief background

1999 Volvo s70 with 137k miles. CEL has been on and off for 2 years. Never had a problem getting it inspected in NJ. Well it failed in VA and I need an Emissions check.

The error code is P0455 - Evaporative Emissions Control System (Gross leak / no flow)

Several sources have cited that a loose gas cap is the issue. I will replace that first, as it is the cheapest. I also have a gas tank door that doesnt close all the way. I have to push it shut to get it to stick. As far as I can see, there is no way that the door alone will cause the error code.

Other recommended fixes included

-vacuum elbows
-j-hose
-evap valve
-purge valve
-vent valve
-charcoal canister
-evap canister hose

I suppose after all this research, Im just a bit overwhelmed.

What is the most common reason any of you members have had the p0455 error code? What should my next step be?

Recent related repairs include a replacement of the "emissions tube." VA State inspection passed my vehicle, including the emissions system. But I still need an emissions check. With an issue like mine, I highly doubt Ill pass the check.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 09-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Tighen the fuel cap on to click 2 or 3 times. Reset the code and see if it comes back.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My position would be a getting yourself a little Actron pocket scanner (Advance auto parts web site) and every time you get a fresh tank of gas wait for the light to come on, and it will...lol, then erase the code. No avoiding it, it's a Volvo! Pay the $79.00 bucks and reset it every time it comes on. after one drive cycle your car will easily pass any emissions test in any state including CA. The problem is when you loosen the gas cap for fueling the vacuum is lost and the car see's that as a leak. Rule 1, is never ever fill your car with the key even remotely close to the ignition switch. Take the key out of the ignition and put it on the passengers seat every time, That in itself may resolve your problem. If not just wait for the CEL to come on and then clear it. Once our tank recreates a vacuum the code will stay off and you can pass your test. It usually takes about 15 miles before the system will complete a full cycle, so drive it for 20 minutes before your test and Best of luck to ya. Remember you are not alone on this Volvo issue!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by breachandclear
The error code is P0455 - Evaporative Emissions Control System (Gross leak / no flow)

What is the most common reason any of you members have had the p0455 error code? What should my next step be?
Is this something you're going to try and fix yourself? If so, do you understand what your looking for? Do you understand what the Evap system is and how it works? Sorry if these are stupid questions but need to understand exactly what kind of help you're looking for. Hopefully the gas cap will fix it for you, but if you want more help, give us some context to work with and we'll go from there...