Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Weird delay between starting the car and the interior electronics working.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird delay between starting the car and the interior electronics working.

I have a 2000 S70 GLT and I have a strange problem and would like to get some advice on how to track down.

When I start my car there is a long delay before the interior electronics start working. All the exterior lights work but the Heater fan, the radio and interior lights don’t work. After a short delay (1 to 5 minutes) they all magically start working again.

Anybody ever experience this?

Old 01-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

See if you can get things to work faster by wiggling your key around after starting. If so, you need a new ignition switch- just the electrical part, which can be had for $50 or so from FCP, and is very easy to replace. If that doesn't do anything, check the little bundle of cables that attaches to the positive battery terminal to see if the ring terminal is corroded, and also check where the main power connection attaches in the fusebox near the air filter box, the one marked "MAIN FUSES.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrots
See if you can get things to work faster by wiggling your key around after starting. If so, you need a new ignition switch- just the electrical part, which can be had for $50 or so from FCP, and is very easy to replace. If that doesn't do anything, check the little bundle of cables that attaches to the positive battery terminal to see if the ring terminal is corroded, and also check where the main power connection attaches in the fusebox near the air filter box, the one marked "MAIN FUSES.
Thanks for the recommendations. I finally got back out there to take a closer look at the car. It's my son's daily driver so it's hard for me to get at it.

I mispoke above so let me clarify. I thought all the interior electronics were dead but it turns out that only the Radio and the Climate Control System don't power up until some random amount of time later. I replaced the battery last week (can't find the radio code so I have to deal with that next) and checked all the connections at that time. Is there a relay that controls just those 2 components? Any suggestions?