Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

window/electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window/electrical problems

Hello again. I have fixed quite a few small things on my 98 s70 glt so far, but I am a bit confused on how I should tackle this problem. The rear window does not work, so I took the door panel off and found that the wires going into the window motor had been cut (I bought it used). The wiring in there looks bad, they used capps on the end of the wires going into the car and the side with the harness that pluggs into the motor is completely gone. I am scared to just sauter them in fear that it may short out something else. What do you guys think?

Also, I have replaced the master window switch. So I know that the sunroof will now work if that is bad, is there any possibility that this window issue could be messing up other electrical problems, sucha as door locks?

Old 05-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: window/electrical problems

The window switch and lock switches are all in the same one.
That might mess up other things.
Can you post a pic of the wire stuff?

Old 05-28-2008, 04:17 PM

ok, I am just going off of what u posted.

You took rear panel off and the wires going to the window motor were cut, and capped?
You are totally missing the wire harnessconnector that plugs directly to the motor?

Im assuming you have a new window motor installed, and I think the master switch is the drivers side front switch? If not I can stand to be corrected.

1. on the cut and capped wire problem, I would just repair the best I could, solder, tape etc.

2.the missing wire harness, that I would probably try to find a junk yard, with same style and
have them cut off theirs and solder it to your end of the wire harness.But, soldering directly
to the motor, I personally would not recommend.

3. The master switch, now I don't have a wiring diagram for volvos, but in my opinion your
problem sounds isolated to the rear passenger side. Maybe the rear pass switch could be
wired wrong. (That being said, im not sure if you said your sunroof is functioning or not, so
that could change my opinion.)

What I would recommend is to find a wiring diagram for your vehicle, if possible. I would focus on the wiring nightmare you described earlier. I see Tech was helping you too, maybe he can give some specifics on what wire does what. Im not sure what is all tied into your particular circuit, without just guessing. A little more detail on your "weird" problems would help too.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:51 PM

This is what it looks like. After I had already put the pictures on the computer I realized it would have been nice to show the window motor on there as well, but there is really no reason since there is just no wires going to it(no harness at the end). I could just take some wire and make something work, but I don't know if it was cut by accident or for some particular reason.

Te first picture is just an overview. You should be able to see the plastic wire caps underneath the electrical tape.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8436/dscf0130me6.png

The second picture shows a spot in the wire where the housing was partially scrapped of to give an idea of how poor the previous job was.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7817/dscf0135hn7.png

I have no clue why this was done or the first action to take to fix it. I definately appreciate your suggestions though.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Administrator

So lets go over this again so I understand 100%
The wires to the switch are there they are just missing to the motor?
If so I would test the wires first and make sure they still work. If all is good then you need to make sure the motor works. Then you can wire it all together.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:04 PM

Man that wire sure is chunkered out dude. Fix that first.
Do you own a voltmeter, and know how to use?? If yes to both, ohm test those wires, at least to the door jam, from connector pins. The first pic, im not sure what those two capped wires are, with out schematics. But wow, someone sure did a number reassembling that door, all your wire protecting boots are cracked, and the one near the wire frey isburnt. hint,hint..I am about 99% sure your problem is in there somewhere bro, I bet you got several wires wounded.
Question, in pic #1 the wire harness hanging out of view, with white and red wires, does it have a connector on the end of it? (is it the one missing the connector)

Wiring problems can be a pain in the butt to troubleshoot, especially w/o basic tools needed, voltmeter, pinchers, needle pins, etc. I don't know your level of ability, but you will need some electrical troubleshooting skills to repair this one. I smell some sort of rigging happened in there at some point. GL

Old 05-29-2008, 10:21 PM

Yea, I have no clue what happend previously, but now I am stuck with it. It sucks. The motor is still there, I guess I just need to check the wires and then find a harness that i can cut and sauter. I don't own a voltmeter or any other electrical tools. I get pretty frusterated when it comes to electrical stuff, its just easier if you can see how it works, unlike electricity. All of the other wires have a home with a harness. The only two that do not have a home are the two that should connect ot the motor. I guess it's just that simple. If I were to connect them backwords, would the motor simply run backwords, or should I just pull off the other rear door pannel to check the colors first? What could be the worst that would happen if i got them backwords? I am just afraid of messing up something else. Thanks again for the help.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:56 AM

If it is a 2 wire connection, you wont hurt anything if you hook up backwards, even if they are backwards on DC, you still have a chassis ground. It should be a multi-phase type motor, so it should work either way you hook it up, (if not just switch wires around lol). Yeah, electronics can be a pain, especially without schematics, and voltmeter etc., because that is the only way you can see electricity, (without painful arcs). Let us know how you make out. GL2U

Old 05-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Administrator

See if you have a Harbor Freight store near you.
You can buy a digital mulit meter for around $5.00.
I bought one to use for a second meter at work.
Have been using it for a year already and it is just as good as my $200.00 meter.