Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Would you buy this for your first Volvo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy this for your first Volvo?

Hi all,
I love this forum and I've been reading all the great posts for 1st time volvo buyers. Great stuff from RSPI especially.

I'm a DIY'er, but know my limits, so I think i'm ready for my first volvo. I saw this just yesterday and the seller seems to have taken decent care of it. Just not meticulous as I was hoping for.

The only bad is a squeaky front of the car. he didn't say if it was when he braked or went over bumps or turned. I will find out when I test drive it.
He's asking $3000 for a 1999 Volvo base sedan. 140K miles. The timing belt and water pump were done 1 year ago. He is the second owner he claims.

Would this be a good way to start into the volvo family? I need a commuter car that is reliable.

Thank you for your help.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If you can do things yourself, you should be fine. Front squeaking can be broken dash tabs, about $500 for a shop to fix that, if you can find one that will fix it. That can be so irritating that you will want to get rid of the car. I have a video that shows how to fix it so you can likely handle it but do get the price down for it.

Very nice cars.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
If you can do things yourself, you should be fine. Front squeaking can be broken dash tabs, about $500 for a shop to fix that, if you can find one that will fix it. That can be so irritating that you will want to get rid of the car. I have a video that shows how to fix it so you can likely handle it but do get the price down for it.

Very nice cars.
He made it sound the squeak might have been strut or shock-related. Here's the add and pics.
(((((((((((1999 volvo 70 s' fully loaded - $3000

Old 09-27-2013, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Well, from the looks of the pics the exterior needs some work. Several dents on the panels and the paint on the roof looks faded.

My guess is that you are looking at a $1,800 car. See if he has WRITTEN PROOF that the timing belt, rollers, and water pump was replaced last year. Also see if the ETM has a yellow or white sticker on it (I believe white is preferred, changed). Then you should check other things in my videos.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by finestlittlemexican
Hi all,
I love this forum and I've been reading all the great posts for 1st time volvo buyers. Great stuff from RSPI especially.

I'm a DIY'er, but know my limits, so I think i'm ready for my first volvo. I saw this just yesterday and the seller seems to have taken decent care of it. Just not meticulous as I was hoping for.

The only bad is a squeaky front of the car. he didn't say if it was when he braked or went over bumps or turned. I will find out when I test drive it.
He's asking $3000 for a 1999 Volvo base sedan. 140K miles. The timing belt and water pump were done 1 year ago. He is the second owner he claims.

Would this be a good way to start into the volvo family? I need a commuter car that is reliable.

Thank you for your help.
To answer your topic question, in a word, NO!

Why? It's a '99 MY and not even a turbo either. Ck out some of my posts where I rant about why you shouldn't even look at 99-2004 MYs IMO. The 99-2000 were the worst of those.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by gdog
To answer your topic question, in a word, NO!

Why? It's a '99 MY and not even a turbo either. Ck out some of my posts where I rant about why you shouldn't even look at 99-2004 MYs IMO. The 99-2000 were the worst of those.
I'll look at your posts on that. My preference are 1998 S70, but I can't seem to find any decent ones.
That one I posted was a dud. the seller was not honest and he tried to cover some things up (new bumpers, window and locks don't work, spray paint on panel, exhaust pipe leak to name a few) THe oil dip stick was smoking after i drove it. It was a little sluggish too.

Glad to pass on that.
Back to the drawing boards I guess.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by finestlittlemexican
I'll look at your posts on that. My preference are 1998 S70, but I can't seem to find any decent ones.
Yep, we looked for over a year to find our S70; it had 57K mls on clock, maint records, and not one dent in body. When those come up, you have to be the first one that calls. The PO said he had half a dozen people calling him after we made a deal offering more than his asking price.

At the time I was looking for a N/A model too; this one was GLT model which is LPT (low pressure turbo). Since owning it I have been converted to the turbo models.

After another 2 year+ search I recently found and bought our 855T; consequently the 855 N/A will soon be up for sale..

Don't give up your search, it's worth it IMO..

Old 09-28-2013, 04:24 PM

I can tell you here on Long Island just weeks ago I picked up a 2000 Volvo S70 I5 (Non-Turbo) 5-Speed Auto with Leather, Sunroof, CD Changer, etc and 117k miles for $2,100. I'm in one of the more expensive markets too. Price sounds high, to be honest.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:35 PM

I've been talking to this owner as well. He has a 2000 Volvo s70 SE FWD for $2300. I'm not sure what makes it an SE, and the clear book website doesn't have that SE option unless it's a GLT. It's got 187K miles and it's a 2000 which are not my preference.
It's a 2 car owner and the 1st owner is good friends so I"m about to call to get more info.

Does the older Volvo's need high mileage motor oil and premium gas? I thought I saw it on a thread, but I don't remember. I would like to get at least 25 mpg if possible. But that maybe wishful thinking with an older car.

Actually my wife is starting to convince me to get a 97 camry. something reliable and low maintenance.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Lol, low maintenance... if the car wasn't well maintained it can be a dog.

I believe all SE's were LPT. YOU can read the extra options on their website.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Lol, low maintenance... if the car wasn't well maintained it can be a dog.

I believe all SE's were LPT. YOU can read the extra options on their website.
I should have said "low cost to maintain".
I'm noticing a lot of local small used car dealers picking up these older volvos at auction houses. most of them don't seem in good shape at all.

I'm hoping this latest volvo owner has been meticulous in caring for it.

happy weekend everyone!

Old 10-22-2013, 11:44 PM

alright fellas. I found a 1999 s70 T5 that is in decent shape. the "low coolant" light is on and there is coolant in the reservoir. I'm wondering if it's a sensor or the heater core. The vents give off a sweet smell when i turned on the heat. Still looking and want to be informed before buying.

Side note: do T5 burn more gas and wear down the tires quicker? That's what I've read, but i'm not sure what the reason is.

Thanks

Old 10-23-2013, 09:39 PM

so i got the carfax and it looks like the orig. owner did these things. I've bolded the weird things to me. it seems like there were some issues starting around 76K miles. Then the 2 water pump replacements within 2 years and 1 drive belt change. is this odd to anyone or does this look like a meticulous owner?

Recommended maintenance performed
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Washed/detailed
Tires rotated and balanced
Computer module replaced

about a year later around 76K
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed (ETM reprogrammed?)
Four wheel alignment performed
Ignition control module replaced

about 8 months later around 86K
State emissions inspection completed
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked (ETM checked?)
Mass air flow sensor replaced

arond 101K
Water pump replaced (timing belt done?)

around 114K
State safety inspection completed
Four wheel alignment performed
Sway bar links replaced
Drive belts replaced (timing belts done again 13K miles later?)

Engine/powertrain computer/module checked (ETM checked?)

Thermostat replaced
Water pump replaced (timing belt done again?)

Old 10-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Lol, timing belt should have been done at 70,000 I believe. The drive belt around 110,000 was likely the serpentine belt.

Engine check stuff was likely for an CEL ON. These cars are HIGH maintenance. Only buy one if you can turn a wrench.

If the coolant light is on you need to shake the bottle and make sure the sensor under the bottle is plugged in. If these cars overheat just once the head gasket is likely bad. They don't usually smoke or mix fluids. Usually get exhaust gases in the coolant system.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Administrator

The only reason a T5 would use more gas is if you keep your foot in it. Same for wheel alignments.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:02 AM

So would to this be consider a car in good shape? 30k miles past therrecommended timing belt change is scary to me