Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

04 Volvo S80 T5 awd alternator questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Volvo S80 T5 awd alternator questions

Hello, new member and new Volvo owner here.

I have been having what I thought was transmission issues with my car, I bought a specialized code reader (not the VIDA/DICE but the Autel MD802 EUR reader) and was getting a code for lockup/low pressure in the trans. It has, in the past few weeks since I bought it, had difficult starts, and thrown some codes in several control units (the reader reads 14 different control units). It had the most issues with the transmission acting up horribly (mainly have issues while driving in town with stop and go traffic) and finally dropped the battery symbol, transmission fault, ABS fault, service engine symbol, and then after about a mile further it dropped the speedo, fuel gauge, and stated brake problem "stop safely". Then shortly after all that, it died not to turn over again till I got it home and put jumper cables on it. It started perfectly and ran nicely till I removed the cables and it didn't even make it 10 seconds then died. I know the alt is dead, the battery is dead (both needing replacement) and probably were going when I bought it 2 weeks ago. My question is, would the battery and alt cause the issues with the trans going into a hard shift limp style mode? Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give!

I have never been a car guy, its always been trucks for me (we owned other cars but I have never liked them) but this Volvo has, since I bought it, been the nicest car I have ever been in! I can see myself sticking with this brand for a long time!

Old 03-01-2018, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it answered, in case anyone is also wondering out there. I installed an aftermarket alt. to save myself over $500 (paid $190 from orileys and dealer wanted $690). It has stopped acting up, stopped shifting hard, and has no more codes. The interesting part is, on this car, the battery in original! Thats correct, original from week 46 of 2003 and is in good condition yet! I have to say, 2 and a half days and no replies, I am kind of shocked that no one had any input on this one.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:20 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad you got it fixed!

Honestly, I've never had tranny symptoms with a dead battery/ bum alternator.
Only replaced one alternator on my Volvos - an S70 with 180,000 miles on it. Bearing shot, still putting out juice though! Experience on other Volvos and conversations with a Volvo mechanic and other Volvo owners indicate that that is pretty common usage. I personally haven't had much luck with aftermarket rebuilds over the last 45 years so I shy away from them - particularly when they take as long to replace as the one on the S70 did.

I say this because you are new to Volvos. As a general rule, try to stick with OEM, they use good parts and, particularly with stuff like filters, ignition components, and the like, you really are better off (and your car will run better) with them.

(Opinion is that of the poster. Your experience may vary.)