Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2001 S80 tweaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 S80 tweaking

I just bought a 2001 S80 and it needs a few items fixed. I searched, but didn't find exact answers.
1. Is the accordion replaceable on the sunroof. If so how is the slide removed? Should all the vertical slack be taken out of the sunroof, as it jumps when a door is closed.
2. The PO had a hack replace the headliner on the slide as well as the ring. I say hack, because the sunroof does not function. All fuses checked. Is there a limit switch on the slide that must be depressed prior to operation? The slide does not retract fully, so I was wondering.
3. Locks do not operate, via key nor buttons. Again, all fuses checked. Next thing to check???
4. After shutdown, if I sit in the car, key removed, about every 30 seconds, the control panel illuminates, the fan runs for about 15 seconds. Not sure how many times it happens, but it happens more than once in a few minutes.
5. I guess I'm relegated to the "stealer" to get the fobs programmed, huh? Hate to spend that money. The PO, rather than fixing the locks where they would work with the key, decided to buy an OEM fob, but not program it. Duh.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to see if voltage is getting to the motor, BUT, listen, check the siren in the car.

DO THIS BY OPENING A WINDOW AND LOCKING THE CAR WITH A FOB OR BY KEY SO THAT YOU SEE THE LIGHT FLASH AND ITS ACTIVE, WAIT ABOUT HALF A MINUTE AND OPEN A DOOR WITH THE INTERIOR HANDLE AND IF YOU SEE THE LIGHTS FLASHING AND HEAR NOTHING, YOUR SIREN PROBABLY IS AT FAULT. ITS ALL NETWORKED TOGETHER.

SOFTWARE FROM YOUR DEALERSHIP IS REQUIRED FOR THE KEY AND FOB, AS WELL AS CALIBRATING A NEW SIREN.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the fast response. That is my problem. I can't get the car to lock nor unlock with the key nor the interior buttons. Fob needs programming. Is there a back door you can think of?? Where are they all networked together at? ECM or other location?

Old 05-02-2010, 09:46 PM

Just replaced my siren to fix my sunroof. Internal battery leaks then corrodes circuit board. If you buy the complete security kit from this dealer in England it will cost about $175 USD delivered in US. It will include the siren plus other parts. It is cheaper to buy this kit than to buy the siren in the US. I had the parts about 4 days after order was placed.

http://www.frfvolvo.co.uk/volvo-parts.asp

This full siren kit [9499758] includes:

* Siren (With Battery) [9452709 x1]
* Bonnet Catch (With Microswitch for Alarm) [9483764 x1]
* Security Bolt [986937 x1]
* Black Plastic Headed Undershield Rivets [979878 x10]
* Plastic Clips [3541113 x11]
* A pair of new window alarm decals [9162875 x2]
* 5A Blade Fuse [967851 x1]

You may want to see if you can have your FOB programmed first because the module which controls the security system and the sun roof is the same module (located in the interior rear view mirror). Even if the siren is defective, the FOB should still work. If there is a problem with this module, no sense in replacing the siren.

If the FOB was previously programmed for this car, try replacing the battery then stand by the drivers door and alternately press the lock then unlock button a few times to see if it comes alive.

If you buy the FOB from an after market source, you may need the code which comes with it so the dealer can activate it. I am not positive on this.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:40 AM

Your post got me ticking. Thanks. Everywhere I turn I am told it is the siren. So I guess with the particular parts inoperative, ie. door locks, sunroof, interior lights I will need to replace the siren to, at least, get to a starting point. Thanks for the input. BTW, I know it may not be on the up and up and I'll probably be banned for referring to another site, but a detailed instruction sheet for R&R of the siren unit can be found here: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...58c4a7735e4d17

Old 05-09-2010, 09:46 AM

Bumping a little. As far as my OP question 4. Anyone experienced this or know what can be done?

Old 07-31-2010, 12:36 PM

I recently had my front struts replaced, sway bar and rollers. When the S80 came back from the shop. I had to reset the clock, then noticed the interior light buttons, sunroof and locks would not function. My mechanic doesn't know. We have checked the fuses and relays. Would replacing the struts have anything to do with why the sunroof and locks no longer function. Also, the car is in lock mode as the truck is locked.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:30 AM

If the siren batteries have not expired and corroded the internal workings of the siren, it is likely the wire from the siren could have been dislodged from the unit when they did the strut work. This would cause all the items to malfunction that you mention. I am not sure if they had to work that close to the siren for the struts, but it is possible. If all is intact, then you are in line for a new siren, as mentioned in the above posts.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:34 PM

I agree with Chandlers comments.
The siren is sealed so there is no way you can inspect the battery or circuit board inside without very carefully cutting it open. Once cut open, if good you will need to reseal the housing.
There is a very good possibility the wire going to it was dislogged or damaged because it runs over the RH inner fender in the area of the strut as Chandler stated. This is the first thing I looked at when I had trouble.
If you can find someone with a tool to read the codes at a reasonable cost, it will tell you if the siren is bad. Otherwise you have to take a gamble in replacing it.
Start by inspecting the wires and look to see if there was damage to it or the connector on the end.

Last edited by dcm0123; 08-02-2010 at 08:37 PM.