Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2004 sunroof - intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 sunroof - intermittent

Hi all - I am considering buying a 2004 S80 I found on the internet. I paid to have it inspected by a 3rd party firm who report that the sunroof "closes intermittently". I won't be able to get further details, as this was a one-shot evaluation.

The car has numerous minor condition issues that I am trying to account the repair costs for (or decide if I can live with them as is).

*Hoping* that someone has seen the same behavior here, approximately how much do you think it would cost to have this repaired by an independent garage? (I like working sunroofs :-)).

Old 10-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search how to test the alarm in this forum and see what your results are. Replace if failed.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:38 PM

I'm wondering what other minor condition issues are there. Minor for a Honda, may be much more expensive in a Volvo.

Electronics are very interconnected in Volvo's and a failure of one system might be the failure of others, resulting in the need to replace one of the many computers that run the car's systems, at a big cost.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr
I'm wondering what other minor condition issues are there. Minor for a Honda, may be much more expensive in a Volvo.
Well, I have the list of identified issues. It's a 6 year old car with 80,000 miles, and realistically, no such car will be mistaken for new on close examination. I've had an S70 for 9 years, and I know these aren't cheap cars to maintain.

What I am trying to do is understand if this particular S80 is a decent value, and that is a matter of the price paid, and the added cost of fixing the issues I feel need fixing. The reason I posted here was to try to get some insights into the likely cost of the sunroof repair.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by SVTfocusO3
Search how to test the alarm in this forum and see what your results are. Replace if failed.
As SVT stated the alarm siren module and the sunroof are tied into one, if the siren module has gone bad it will cause the sunroof to not work properly...I am experiencing this problem now....to replace the module the part cost around $160 or there abouts..good luck the cost of repairing the car for me would be an non-issue!!! volvo's are one of the safest and most dependable cars on the road...so I would tell if the price is right jump on the opportunity to purchase this vehicle

Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by patsfn2
As SVT stated the alarm siren module and the sunroof are tied into one, if the siren module has gone bad it will cause the sunroof to not work properly...I am experiencing this problem now....to replace the module the part cost around $160 or there abouts..good luck the cost of repairing the car for me would be an non-issue!!! volvo's are one of the safest and most dependable cars on the road...so I would tell if the price is right jump on the opportunity to purchase this vehicle
Great - thanks for taking the time for posting the thoughtful response, Pats fan :-) It does have more wrong with it than this, as I alluded to, but with your input, I am feeling that the price is a fair one, and I do like the way it is configured... now need to seriously wrestle with the decision *lol*.