Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Intermittent sunroof problems (again) searched... which module?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent sunroof problems (again) searched... which module?

So I've been having sunroof problems and have done some reading.

Sometimes the key in the door unlocking twice will fix it, sometimes if I just let the car sit for a few hours and come back it works.

Other times it will not work for a day or two and I must disconnect the battery cables and hold them together as Tech has suggested.

So just for sh*ts and giggles I took it to the stealership and they want to replace basically everything related to the sun roof at about $2.4K! HAH!

So which module is causing the problems? I know its not the switch, and not the motor. I've taken the switch out and measured resistance and continuity and what not to make sure the contacts aren't bad. The wires are in good shape and not coming loose etc etc. The tracks are clean and when the sun roof works it operates perfectly. It stops at the "comfort" position then will go fully open if desired. It closes all the way automatically. It tilts correctly.

-Jonathan
2000 S80 2.9

Old 04-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Usually a bad siren is the cause.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:00 PM

Um pardon my ignorance but uh........

what?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Sometimes when you unlock the car and start it do you get an alarm system service needed or something like that?

The alarm siren is a module and when it goes bad it backfeeds and messes up the sunroof and door locks.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:11 AM

Ah hah...

Yes actually. I get that error message EVERY time I start the car.

The alarm siren also does not work.

The linkage for the lock solenoid is broken on the driver's side door (I think)... that's what I thought was the alarm message was all about. The key still locks/unlocks the driver's side door, and does move the little lock "thingy" on the top of the door (have NO idea what to call it ) but while using either the key fob or the lock/unlock button inside the car it does not move. You hear the motor turn then turn again.

It really makes it a PITA because the lock button does not work properly. Since it is not a Lock and Unlock separate button on the door, it never functions correctly. It only locks all the doors, unless I press the lock thingy down manually then press the button. Then it will unlock all the doors. Because of this my fuel door is always swinging open because that solenoid lock mechanism doesn't lock. I don't know if the car is supposed to lock all the doors automatically once you are out of park, but the doors do not automatically lock thus the fuel door swings open every time I stop. If I press the lock button however even though the driver's side door doesn't lock the fuel door does lock.

Since you have access to VIDAS or whatever that program is, do you mind getting a part number for said part?

I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to get my ETM replaced so I'll ask while I'm there.

Last edited by poor_red_neck; 04-29-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Administrator

The drivers door latch is bad that's why it will not lock and unlock.
9452709 I believe is the siren part#.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:19 PM

Tech my is doing the same thing. it will tilt open but when it gets to where it should open it just stops. I do not get any alarm message. How do you check the siren and also how do you replace.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Best would be to have the codes pulled to be 100% sure.
The siren is in the R/F inner fender under the plastic liner.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:34 AM

What do mean when you say have the codes pulled? Not that knowledgeable