Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Axle FWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle FWD

Hello all. Need help on replacing inner axle boot on Passenger side. Question is as follows; with lower B-joint and tierod off, what is the best way of removing the axle??? OR, would it be advisable to replace both boots with the axle in place??? Thank you for all responcess in advance. John

Old 12-09-2020, 02:40 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

You should definitely take the axle off to replace the boots. You can't properly replace it without doing so. 2 piece boots are garbage and you cant get the small end over the outer end of the axle anyways because of the sensor gear at the end. Now replacing both boots is up to you, if the one that isn't torn looks fine, I personally wouldn't worry about it, but if you see cracking, replace it. I recently did the inner boot on my P2 S60 and it wasn't bad, only annoying part is the Rzeppa joint. Some have tons of rollers and rings you need to keep track of and can come falling out upon separation. What year is your S80? For my S60, I just had to pop the nut off the ball joint, remove the axle bolt, and take the two bolts off the bushing mount just inside the rzeppa joint and it slid right out. With a couple good yanks, the joint will separate and for me, there were bushings and no loose components so I was able to replace the boot and slap it full of grease and reassemble.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:41 AM

Thank you Sir for your fast response!!! It is greatly appreciated!!!!! Sorry for not enough info. The car is a 2008 S80 FWD 3.2L. I am experienced in the auto field and have done several other manufactures boots. The axle is ready to be removed, but it's being held at what seems to be the carrier bearing. I pulled a few times, but no release. It looks as though there is a snap ring on the back side of the carrier bearing, but if the whole axle ( from the tranny ) is to be removed, then the carrier bearing doesnt seem to have a large enough hole for it to slide through. I'm assuming it needs to be poped out at the tranny? Just as the drivers side would need to be. I am replacing both boots on both axles. Old school, while in there, do it all ( 145k on them ) because i cut the drivers side outer while doing the struts. All in all, I am not sure what is holding the axle in and how it needs to be removed from the tranny. Thank you again for your time and knowledge!!!!! John

Old 12-10-2020, 03:37 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

The carrier bearing should look something like this below:

You just need to take those two bolts off and it will come right out. That outer part, should be part of the axle. They pull right out of the tranny so there wont be anything on that end holding it in.

Old 12-12-2020, 08:41 AM

Thank you so much for the info and pic, so i can have a easier time of completing this task at hand. Its so wonderful when one can help another in there time of need. I shall be returning to completing this job this afternoon, with your kind help. Thank you again John