Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

can someone make me fall in love with s80 again hmnnn

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry can someone make me fall in love with s80 again hmnnn

I just got a second hand volvo s80 with 135,000 miles not long ago and i fell in love with the car from the moment i drove it out of the auction. Two months later i have my abs, srs airbag, check engine, alarm and literally every warning on the dashboard light up so bright, and starring in my face when i start the car. It drives fine even though sometimes i get the stop ASAP brake failure warning but ignore it and keep speeding. I kept building my love for the car until it disgraced me miserably during my first emission test. I went for a diagnostic and now i have to change the evap hose and speed sensor which will cost me 560 usd for both labor and parts. labor is 150 for each of e 2 parts to be replaced and the rest is the price of the parts.
My question good people is, Is there a way i can cheat the emission computer to make me pass or is there a way i can clear all those warning from my dashboard because i am tired and getting freaked out by the bright lights urgh!!! secondly, can i not fix these stuff myself and save the money for my petroleum drilling and reservoir book or a t-i 89 calculator. I guess you understand that i am a college student by now and i can't afford that kind of money for repairs. I entreat the whole volvo community to help me out or else i will dump your daughter in my mums garage and ride the bicycle to school until i graduate in the next four years and get a well paying job to spend lavishly on repairs.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:13 PM

This car has cost me so much money I have to get a job to save up for college now. I'd tell you how cool this car was if it actually functioned without the initial 1,000-4,000 dollars you have to spend to fix it once you buy it. This is a good car, but not for a student saving money. You can love a car and not necessarily be able to own it. The problems you're having probably have something to do with a malfunctioning module, such as your ABS, ETM, or ECM. This is a common problem with S80s, and costs hella too much to fix. The ETM going bad in my car is now responsible for me needing a new tranny and a bunch of other sensors. Best of luck.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

why do you need a new tranny if the etm is bad ? get the etm flashed...

Old 09-19-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by andrei3333
why do you need a new tranny if the etm is bad ? get the etm flashed...
I guess, according to my mechanic, the clutch/tranny is bad now. What company (other than volvo dealership) can flash an etm without having to get a rebuild?? I'm gonna have to do both probably.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:07 PM

I know what you mean... I really did not know how much I really loved my car until it had it's midlife crisis and went mentally insane. It was in the psychiatric ward of Tom Wood Volvo for a month, this past month, with a bad ECM. That was $1100 fix. I know your pain because I am paying my student loans right now, it is almost if not worse than trying to save for college.

Unfortunately, I think your warning light problem is ECM going out. Either that or your ABS mod going out, and I am really hoping that it is the ABS going out. I could be wrong about this but, I don't think that the speed sensor or the evap hose would cause all of the warning lights. The reason I am saying this is because I was having the exact same problem with the warning lights before my car went insane, but I did not have any problems with sensor nor the hose.

I had my ABS mod rebuilt for $140. I even took it out myself, (Mind you, I am a 5'1.75" 25 year old girl that can just barley reach the hooks on the hood when it is at the highest point.) and I hardly know how to work on these cars, but once I got that thing out, I had a greater understanding of why labor at the dealership is so high. LOL Now once you take it out, you will be out of a car for a week but I think it is well worth the wait. You could still drive the car without the mod, but with the problems that you are having I would just go get a rental car or have your mom drive you to school or something. Here is his website.

http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/

This guy is very honest and he is quick. The reason it takes a week is because his shop is in California and since I am in Indiana that is how long it took for me to get it back. He told me from the time he got to his shop with the part to, opening it up, that I had three cracks on my circuit board. He replace the board, upgrade it, and shipped my module out that same night. Oh and he has a 5 year warranty on parts and (I think) labor. It is all on his website. Even the instructions on to take the ABS mod out. Just make sure that you do not strip the bolts cause if you do then you will have to get a new mod.

So I would get that fixed first and then see if it is the ECM, because let me tell you, it is really scary when all of the modules stop talking to each other and you get stranded. It sucks, and (knock on wood) I hope it never happens to me again.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by elmo_allen; 09-22-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:48 AM

ok thanks guys i tried removing my abs but i cant remove the fuse panel and i sent victor an email but he has never replied can someone give me his phone number please

Old 09-25-2009, 12:12 PM

Yeah the power connector is tough to get out. I pushed on the clip on your right and got that unhooked first. Then I took a flat head screw driver and I put it against the outside of the clip on your left. Then I lightly pulled up and it came out. I then unscrewed the unit the back left bolt is really hard to get to, but once you get the unit out you will be able to get to the other connector. I can email you his phone number but I will not post it here.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by elmo_allen; 09-25-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:37 AM

elmo_allen,

I think your post was really helpful. I have a 2000 Volvo S80 2.9 and recently while I was driving on I-85, my "EL. SYSTEM" warning message displayed across the dash.

Next thing I know, my power steering and A/C goes out and I'm going 65 on a busy highway in the rain. NOT FUN. Does this sound similar to what you had go wrong with your car? I am up for getting the ABS rebuilt, as I don't want to put too much more $$$ into it for repairs.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:34 PM

elmo_allen

Hey i really need your help with this whole abs thing. I called victor and he never replied so i will try module master but i need to get it out first and as dumb as i am i aint gat a clue as to how to remove the fuse panel and the filter and all the stuff in the way. Is it ok if you or anyone in this forum can guide me through the whole process on the phone? pls pls pls guys, the emission boys want to suspend my plate for not getting it done by 0ctober 9th. by the way its a 200 s80

Thanks

Old 09-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Old 09-26-2009, 10:27 PM

BBA remanufacturing out of taunton ma. has done great work for me on this subject, communication is great and the price is better, also a lifetime warrantry for original owners, check them out on e-bay.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by gEELY
elmo_allen,

I think your post was really helpful. I have a 2000 Volvo S80 2.9 and recently while I was driving on I-85, my "EL. SYSTEM" warning message displayed across the dash.

Next thing I know, my power steering and A/C goes out and I'm going 65 on a busy highway in the rain. NOT FUN. Does this sound similar to what you had go wrong with your car? I am up for getting the ABS rebuilt, as I don't want to put too much more $$$ into it for repairs.
Yes it does, aside from the A/C going out and that particular error message, because at the time I had my windows open so I don't know if it went out or not, and the only warning I had was Brake Failure Stop Safely ASAP. Once that error is on I do not get any other error messages. If you want you can look at this post (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/my-car-litterally-had-mental-break-down-34155/) and see what happened to it. Just out of curiosity did you lose any power before this all happened. The reason I ask is because I lost power about a day or two before I started to have major problems.

================================================== =======

joduro1

I am sorry that you are having a problem with getting a hold of Victor... If you would like I can contact him on your behalf. The link that Tech gave you is how to take the Mod out. It is actually off of Victor's site. Unfortunately you will have to take out the air filter housing to get to the part. I am not sure if they changed the design / layout from the 1999 to the 2000, but it is fairly understandable. I just had a problem with the back left bolt. It is at a weird angle but once that bolt was out it will just slide right out.

Last edited by elmo_allen; 09-27-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:17 PM

Did everything work out?

Old 12-05-2009, 07:34 PM

hey elmo

i travelled out of the states just gat back a while ago im bout to fix it and sell it before i move to texas. I can problly own a brand new volvo someday *tears**tears*