Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Charge Air Cooler tubes cracked slightly

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charge Air Cooler tubes cracked slightly

My charge air cooler tubes, the twin black plastic tubes than run over the middle of the engine on the T6 are cracked slightly where they hook up to the metal pipes. I m going to epoxy the cracks closed but was wondering how much those cracks would really affect anything. I m guessing the turbos and solenoid would be affected possibly? Also the rubber tube that hooks to the nipple on the CAC tubes falls off a lot but I don't seem to feel it affecting anything either?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Default RE: Charge Air Cooler tubes cracked slightly

Yea, mine are cracked aswell. Not sure how much difference it would make, but I guess it would make some difference.

I'm looking at making some replacements out of carbon fibre as the OEM's are very expensive over here in NZ.

The small hose that comes off the right hand side of those pipes supplies the TCV with pressure to open the wastegates. So I guess your wastegate will never open which could deffinately cause damage. Perhaps Tech can confirm.

Stu

Old 10-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I think that is the way it works. If the small hose falls off over time it might cause damage. Use a screw clamp to hold it on.

Also sounds kind of crappy but for now remove the clamp and try a little bit of electrical tape around the pipe then put the clamp back on.

Or try to find a bicycle tube small enough to slip it over then clamp and it might seal it till you get new pipes.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: spunkymonky

My charge air cooler tubes, the twin black plastic tubes than run over the middle of the engine on the T6 are cracked slightly where they hook up to the metal pipes. I m going to epoxy the cracks closed but was wondering how much those cracks would really affect anything. I m guessing the turbos and solenoid would be affected possibly? Also the rubber tube that hooks to the nipple on the CAC tubes falls off a lot but I don't seem to feel it affecting anything either?
The cracks won't affect anything unless they are leaking air. Do they extend far enough back that some air could be leaking out?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:29 PM

Thanks everyone. Yes they are definitely split far enough where they could be leaking air. We're not talking gaping holes but basically slits probably 1/4inch x 1/8 or 1/16 in each tube. Would air be leaking out or sucking in?

Old 10-14-2008, 11:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Xrious

I'm looking at making some replacements out of carbon fibre as the OEM's are very expensive over here in NZ.

Stu
Hi Stu

I have been sourcing my parts from Volvo Orange County. On average their prices are about 1/3 of what NZ dealers want for them. They do ship to NZ and their postal rates are reasonable.

Cheers

Old 10-15-2008, 07:20 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The easiest way to find out if they are leaking is to SAFELY have someone hold the brake and with the e-brake on and in gear give it some gas to build boost pressure then feel around the pipes for leaks.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:00 PM

Poop bunny, thanks for the info mate, I think I need some new half shafts aswell and with the exchange rate so good for us right now I'll be happy to buy stuff from the states.

the cracking is a common problem though, and I imagine it'll only get worse, mines pretty bad now.

Stu