Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Coolant Issues HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Issues HELP!

I have a '03 s80 2.5 T. About 2 weeks ago, I had a message that said the coolant was low, stop engine, which I did and added coolant. Within an hour, my car was smoking and all the coolant had drained out in the parking lot. I took it to the mechanic and they said it was due to a cracked reservoir which I had replaced. A week later after an hour and a half drive, I stop my car and again it starts smoking and dumped out the coolant. I returned to the mechanic and they said it was just a hose clamp that came loose. They fixed it and as soon as I got home, the same thing happened...coolant dumped out, smoke, over heating. Any ideas? is this a head gasket issue or possibly that the clamp just came undone again??

Old 05-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be the little plastic elbow inside the timing belt cover. Search the forums about it some posts have pictures.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You've probably roasted the cylinder head by now.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by igc0408
I have a '03 s80 2.5 T. About 2 weeks ago, I had a message that said the coolant was low, stop engine, which I did and added coolant. Within an hour, my car was smoking and all the coolant had drained out in the parking lot. I took it to the mechanic and they said it was due to a cracked reservoir which I had replaced. A week later after an hour and a half drive, I stop my car and again it starts smoking and dumped out the coolant. I returned to the mechanic and they said it was just a hose clamp that came loose. They fixed it and as soon as I got home, the same thing happened...coolant dumped out, smoke, over heating. Any ideas? is this a head gasket issue or possibly that the clamp just came undone again??
A bad head gasket does not make a car over heat...a stuck thermostat is most likely your cause...or bad radiator. But if it shoots up real FAST it's a stuck thermostat. The only time a car will overheat from a broken head gasket is when all the coolant leaks out....careful or you will blow your head gasket from so much overheating.