Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Debating going for the S80 T6

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 03:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debating going for the S80 T6

So, as some of you guys may know I had some unsuccessful attempts/results with trying to add a cool air intake/supercharger/nitrous to my current S80 2.9L non-turbo. Basically the guys at the shop told me this:they can't install the cool air intake because they have nowhere to safely attach the Mass Airflow Sensor, they can't do the supercharger because they can't guarantee when the pedal is floored that is true full throttle, and they can't safely recommend the nitrous due them not being confident me switching spark plugs to a degree colder would work.

For a brief revew these are my current specs:

2001 S80 2.9L non-turbo. I don't know it off the top of my head but I am over 58,000 miles (but still shy of 59,000 miles). At the time we picked up the car in 2003 we paid $22,000 for 21,000 miles (so I have put on roughly 36,000 miles). Still decent shape; got scratch marks on the trunk from a vandalizer, front grill bar is cracked due to someone who backed into me (while I was parked), left fog light is loosek (right now held in place with hockey tape), and right front wheel is making some noise (I'm getting it looked at tom). I have added a subwoofer to it so the sound has improved, and we just replaced both brake pads,discs,sockets, tires are a bit wearing down but still got some miles left).

I have since gone into Plan B mode (seeing what possible deals are out there for a turbo S80 otherwise known as the 2.8L T6). So far I have stumbled upon these 2:

1999 S80 2.8L T6 79,910 miles. Asking price: 8,600 (and willing to negotiate more if I take it before end of the month).
2000 S80 2.8L T6 65,556 miles. Asking price: 9,980.

Here's my take on it-if after looking at the turbo version I can check off the following:
A) The 268 horsepower does make a difference (I plan on checking out/possibly test driving the 1999 one this Sat).
B) The car is in good shape interior and exterior wise.
C) I can either trade in/sell my current one for a reasonable range.

Then the odds will be strong I would be interested in making the swap.

However.....my family and friends have offered their opinion (most of it being on the thumbs down but they said they will support and respect my decision regardless).

1) I do not drive fast (or am not an aggressive driver for the most part) so they feel the 268 hp jump from my current 197 hp will not be utilized
2) I would be downgrading year wise from my 2001 for a 1999/2000.
3) I would be downgrading milage wise from my 58,000 to either 79,910 or 65,556.
4)I've poured too much money into my current S80 to now decide to swap in/buy an older model.

My Dad has also expressed concerns about the turbo engine, as he said according to his understanding turbos are harder to mantain and generally lead a shorter lifespan then their N/A siblings. My neighbor pretty much thinks I've lost it (he is also suspicious as to why the 1999 is being priced so low; he thinks something has to be wrong i.e. it sounds too good to be true). I personally am torn because on one hand I still love my S80 deep down but on the other I am sick of getting blown off my less expensive cars on the highway when trying to fight traffic as well as the lose of acceleration and power I notice uphill and with even medium weight in the car (my neighbor's brother has pointed out he noticed the car doesn't feel as "kicky" and powerful as it used to be; somewhat like an aging fighter). There are times I can't even gun into the middle lane (when fighting to merge)because I don't have the confidence the car can make that jump like it used to.

So............what's your 2 cents? And you can be honest. I have some concerns as to whether or not I will be able to add a cool air intake/turbo timer/air fuel gauge to this car as so far my online searches still have not yielded solid results (as of right now I am going on some faith from the "experts" that at least with the turbo or in this case twin turbo I would have the fundamental for tuning it soemwhat. Let me emphasize I am not trying to race; this is just something I would like to have some more power when needed and the option of being able to take this out in the open or to a legal race track once in awhile for kicks).

Old 02-20-2007, 04:43 AM
Default RE: Debating going for the S80 T6

I have a 2000 Volvo S80 T6 with 75K for sale. It has been dealer serviced throughout it's life. Reason for selling--buying a house and need to downsize a tad.. 11K OBO. Vehicle located in NC.

Jason
mpmoe2002@msn.com

Old 02-21-2007, 12:17 AM

for 800$-1000$ you can a chip that plugs into the OBD II reader and downloads a program that adds alot of horsepower and torque( I think about 50), and when you bring it in to get fixed you can quicklyuninstall it...

The t6 gives you kicks, but only at certain speeds you notice it ALOT more, I.E- 0-40, 60-80mph, then there is not much turboing...

But yah get that chip, should give you that added umph that your looking for--- I think BSR makes the chip...

O yah, plusI notice my gas average for mpg = 18-19mpg and that is combined highway and city ...

Old 02-21-2007, 01:22 AM

So where do I find this chip? Interesting.....

Old 02-21-2007, 02:44 AM

http://www.bsr-tuning.eu/products//t524/

you go from 268hp to 321 hp, for 900$.... thats for the t6 model....that would beat the gs400 hands down O.o

Old 02-21-2007, 02:46 AM

I have the 2.9L non-turbo though...will this still work or am I out of luck?.....

Old 02-21-2007, 07:42 PM

Actually I just realized that they only have it for the turbo models O.o , my bad, coulda sworn they had it for the non-turbo ones too...

Old 02-22-2007, 12:13 AM

It's ok....at the rate I'm going me trying to add more power to my current S80 is like Doc Brown trying to repair the time circuits in 1885[:@](Back to the Future III).

Old 02-24-2007, 04:01 AM

I wouldn;t give up on your N/A yet.

I live here in socal and I've alreayd found several people who say that adding power to my 99 N/A is not a problem. The big thing they say is for turbo.nitrous to work I'd need a custom intake and exhaist manifold fabricated, and to run an independent management system. I know there are less expensive ways to do it, but I love my current s80 too much to part with it. It's become my friend and even though it's been an expensive friend, I've had a lot of good times (and awesome dates hehe) in my car for me to give up on it.

No current plans to do anything with it now, but in about 2 years from now when I graduate from college, I have plans to pull out the engine, rebuild it with better internals and start the process of doing a custom turbo/turbos setup.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:21 AM

Thanks Helga....I actually did some soul searching (car wise) a couple days ago and deep down I still love my N/A too much as well. At first I really wanted to give up after my fatefal call with IPD when the associates confirmed my worst fears. Well; that lasted all of 3-4 hrs and before I knew I was back to trying to study how the car worked and figuring out what could possibly down.

Of course the dumb manual I ordered still isn't here yet...but that's ok. In the meantime I will bid my time likely and see what can be drawn out.

Anyhoo.....

Old 03-06-2007, 04:22 AM

mpmoe,

I like that--I'm going to use that..."I just bought a new house and need to downsize a tad"...what I think you may really mean (cause this is my experience) "This is the crappiest car that could ever have been built for the money I paid for it and the repairs are endless-- further draining my wallet but more importantly draining my spirit and making me want to puke everytime I see the Volvo logo (no kidding -- my stomach turns)"

Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 PM

ORIGINAL: quixill

mpmoe,

I like that--I'm going to use that "I just bought a new house and need to downsize a tad"...what I think you may really mean (cause this is my experience) "This is the crappiest car that could ever have been built for the money I paid for it and the repairs are endless-- further draining my wallet but more importantly draining my spirit and making me want to puke everytime I see the Volvo logo (no kidding -- my stomach turns)"
I just PCS'd (military move) to NC and purchased a home. We decided my wife will not work outside the home(11 mo. daughter). We can make it one car and thus do not need this one. This car has been very reliable unlike many similar year/make/models on this forum.We are vigilant with maintenance and it has paid off so far. I wanted to save everyone my life story by simply saying,"I just bought a new house and need to downsize a tad." Your A-hole comments are not appreciated. Keep them to yourself!