Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Electrical problem maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem maybe?

I have a 2009 s80 T6 that has an unresolved problem. The car had hesitation to start and on numerous occasions, the battery died for no apparent reason. It was taken to a Volvo shop and they determined it was the battery and replaced it and said the battery was corroded. Again, battery died but this time it was completely dead as compared to before when it had some signs of life and could be jump started. This time no lights, no display, absolutely dead. It was towed to Volvo and they had it for 2 weeks and determined this time the starter needed to be replaced, and so it was. It hesitated to start the first time we started it after the new starter, which was brushed off when we asked. Surprise! The battery was still dying at random times I would say about three times every year, nothing seemed to be fixed. The check engine light also pops on and off all the time I think it depends on the week! Just today I went to start it, nothing. The check engine light has been on now for 2 months (sometimes off, mostly on).It’s push to start and won’t even accept the key right now. It wouldn’t jump start either. However the lights work, but they’re dim and the display works. I just want an answer so this can be done with because everytime it’s taken in they say it’s the “battery” and replace it. How can a car go through 3 batteries in 5 years? Something has to be draining the batteries. Diagnostics on it are also not finding a thing. I did some research and I found something about the radio. From what I can understand the radio can have a satellite radio subscription, but because of an electrical issue whether subscribed to the radio or not, it can still search for signals even when the car is turned off causing the battery to drain. Could this stupid little radio thing be the cause of my troubles and have been easily fixed long time ago?