Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Any ideas? engine?... maybe electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas? engine?... maybe electrical?

Hey everyone, first of all, what happened to the vptuning site?? but anyways... I'm having some trouble with my car. This started happening about a year and a half ago, but i had a bad passenger side axel, and had that replaced and about 2 months after that, my abs and srs airbag lights would come on while driving and stay on for about a few days and then one day i would start my car up, and the lights would be off.... and it continued that for about a month and a half and then stopped... so i just thought that maybe i had somehow sprayed water inside the electronics while doing a usual car wash and detail.... so... then winter came and in the cold mornings i would start my car and it would make a high pitched squealing noise which sounded like it was coming from under the hood on the front passenger side and would do it for about 3 minutes until the car warmed up... I've taken it to the local volvo maintenance shop and they told me it was a timing belt tensioner... got that replaced and not even a week after that, it started making the noise again, it so then the weather got warmer and the noise stopped... well now it's getting cold again and i don't know where it is coming from, i have tried to listen while the car is running... no luck... but last week my srs and abs lights started coming on again... but this time when the lights come on, my car seems like it loses power for a second and my radio and radar detector turn off and while driving it feels like someone just did a really bad downshift and jerks the car... so... i looked around to see if there were any shorts in the grounds and power cables... looked ok... checked my distributor cap and found that one of my spark plug wires was badly corroded on the inside of the boot and had a bunch of yellowish white powder and the terminal was green... so i replaced the spark plug wire and it still has the same problems... has anyone ever experienced this before?? Thanks...

Old 11-17-2007, 12:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any ideas? engine?... maybe electrical?

Sounds like an electrical problem. Maybe the noise is coming from the alternator? If the voltage drops below a certain level, the srs and abs lights could come on.

The 98 S70 also had problems with the ignition switch (electrical portion), and the Battery cable that supplies voltage to the fuse box in the engine compartment.

Check out this

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...amp;highlight=

B

Old 11-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Any ideas? engine?... maybe electrical?

I would check the ignition switch, and Battery connection in the fuse panel under the hood.
For the noise if you can one morning remove the Accessory belt and start the car and see if the noise is gone. If it is then check the idler and tensioner for the accessory belt.