Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Hard Brake Pedal...Volvo Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2023, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Brake Pedal...Volvo Won't Start

Hello folks. I have a 2008 Volvo S80. Issue is car won't start.

Normal starting procedure:

* Insert FOB into slot
* Depress brake pedal
* Press "start" button
* Car starts

Tried starting the car yesterday...and it would not start (engine would not even crank over). One thing that was unusual...when pressing the brake pedal...brake pedal was very firm (much firmer than usual).

* First thought was maybe the battery was bad (it's a few years old). Removed the battery and charged it with my automotive battery changer for a few hours. Reinstalled the battery...still same problem.
* Decided to get a new battery. Installed the new battery...still same problem.
* Checked all fuses (pulled each one...examined each...reinserted each fuse)...all fuses looked fine.
* Plugged in my OBD II code reader...and scanned the car. Result = no codes.

Additional info. Car has about 112k miles on it. Car wasn't driven for maybe 3 days. Before this car ran fine...with no previous warnings or symptoms indicating something might be starting to go bad.

I'm kinda running out of ideas. Anyone have any thoughts what it could be? Anything else I could try? Anything else I could/should investigate?

Thanks much...appreciate any help.

Old 07-08-2023, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem solved.

Initial feedback from wife (her car)...she experienced a hard brake pedal & car wouldn't start. Turns out the hard brake pedal "symptom" unnecessarily complicated the troubleshooting of the issue. Turns out (more than likely)...hard brake pedal was probably due to not driving the car for 3-4 days.

Real problem ended up being a bad starter. The braided copper cable that goes between the starter motor & starter solenoid was almost totally disintegrated (powdery copper cable material would come off on your fingers when touched...and when squeezed between fingers...the braided copper cable just crushed).

Replaced the starter...car started right up.