Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

hid fog light installation problem on 2000 s80

  #1  
Old 08-12-2012, 05:33 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8
Lightbulb Tutorial: Installing HID Ballast Bulbs on 99-03 Volvo S80

i looked everywhere trying to find a way to install HID w/ Ballast into my 2000 Volvo S80 T6, to no avail.
so i semi-engineered a way using duct tape thought id share my idea in case someone was looking to do the same.

1. Unplug & Remove your headlight from your car (3 star screws)
20120825_161649.jpg?t=1346014283

2. Remove the interior Dome Reflector.
20120825_161745.jpg?t=1346014336
(should look like this )
20120825_161700.jpg?t=1346014395

4. Put your HID bulb through the dome reflector
20120825_162146.jpg?t=1346014484

5. Use tiny strips of duct tape to hold the bulb to the reflector. (Make sure to not touch the HID bulb with your fingers or tape)
20120825_162813.jpg?t=1346014652
20120825_162806.jpg?t=1346014642

6. Re-Insert the dome reflector back into the Fog Light.
(with the addition of tape, you wouldn't hear a click when inserting, but it should be sitting in tightly)
Name:  20120825_163011.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  375.3 KB

7. Now all you need to do is add tape on the exterior lip to prevent water from going into the Fog Light.
Name:  20120825_163640.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  413.8 KB

8. Re-install your fog light with the three star screws you removed earlier. (i think i used the T25 tip)

9. The wiring process from the fog light to the ballast to the vehicles' battery source is rather simple from there-on-out. Simply connect all the wires to the ballast and the positive (red) wire from the ballast will be connected to the white wire that was originally connected to the fog-light via plug, and the negative (black) wire from the ballast connected to the black wire coming from the car's original plug. I cut off my original fog light plugs because i didn't want water to play a factor in shorting anything.. you can choose to keep them and just slit them without removing the plugs. That is totally up to you and will work either way.

These steps completely bypass the original grommet used on this Volvo, which sandwiched the H1 bulbs between itself and the fog light, making it impossible to install a HID ballast kit. Feel free to do any adjustments you see fit, as i am an amateur.

it might not look like its sturdy in the pictures or description, but it is.

..and yes... i installed green HIDs with a film of green tint
 

Last edited by mrdabbas; 08-29-2012 at 12:57 PM.
  #2  
Old 08-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8
Default

Name:  20120828_200640.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  429.2 KB

Name:  20120828_200914.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  454.4 KB
 
  #3  
Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 22
Default

that duck tape is only gonna last a couple of months and cause you nothing but problems
 
  #4  
Old 08-29-2012, 07:44 PM
akabond's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 434
Default

that this is bright and m not into green lights..maybe inside the car but not outside.
but i like the idea of HID fogs
 
  #5  
Old 08-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by HDturbowagon View Post
that duck tape is only gonna last a couple of months and cause you nothing but problems
suggestion?
 
  #6  
Old 08-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by akabond View Post
that this is bright and m not into green lights..maybe inside the car but not outside.
but i like the idea of HID fogs
all interior lighting is green
 
  #7  
Old 08-30-2012, 07:51 PM
lor3nzod's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 42
Default

Its a good thought, but the tape wont last and your going to blind other traffic and could get pulled over depending on state. Buy a set of fog light projectors and retrofit an H1 HID kit, did this on my SVT contour along time ago and i'm going to be starting it on my s80 since i just did a projector retofit on it.
 
  #8  
Old 08-31-2012, 01:53 AM
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 22
Default

Originally Posted by mrdabbas View Post
suggestion?
yeah they actually make a HID bulb that fits that fog housing you just have to drill a hole through the plastic stock backing to run the wires
 
  #9  
Old 09-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8
Talking

Originally Posted by lor3nzod View Post
Its a good thought, but the tape wont last and your going to blind other traffic and could get pulled over depending on state. Buy a set of fog light projectors and retrofit an H1 HID kit, did this on my SVT contour along time ago and i'm going to be starting it on my s80 since i just did a projector retofit on it.

the little research that i did gave me an understanding that fog lights are not the same as headlights, whereas the headlights can only be yellow/white/light blue. Fog lights in the state of California can vary in colors. They would be 100% street legal if i remove the green tint film, because the bulbs themselves are more white than green. But then again, i do not plan on keeping these lights on at all times as they have a switch inside the car, very convenient.

as for the duct tape, i was well aware that it is not water proof and melts/decays with heat. It should, however, give me a lengthy amount of time before they wear out.

I should mention that I've done all this for the sake of fun. I'm not taking this at all one bit serious, hence my sloppyness. I've also swapped all the interior lighting to green (kept the original ones in case i choose to revert)

i also got this kit for a rather cheap price of $20 (XenTec), more that im willing to invest in "fun." Took me approx. 20 min to remove, mount, and replace the bulbs. But im interested in seeing how you install the bulbs w/ projectors on your S80, so snap pictures and post back to this thread, could be helpful to many of us amateurs.

btw the pictures give the lights more justice than they deserve, the lights are soft and will not blind drivers. The HIDs i got are only the 3k version. Compared to the usual 6k-15k people use on their vehicles.
 

Last edited by mrdabbas; 09-02-2012 at 04:50 PM.
  #10  
Old 09-02-2012, 11:04 PM
lor3nzod's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 42
Default

Originally Posted by mrdabbas View Post
the little research that i did gave me an understanding that fog lights are not the same as headlights, whereas the headlights can only be yellow/white/light blue. Fog lights in the state of California can vary in colors. They would be 100% street legal if i remove the green tint film, because the bulbs themselves are more white than green. But then again, i do not plan on keeping these lights on at all times as they have a switch inside the car, very convenient.

as for the duct tape, i was well aware that it is not water proof and melts/decays with heat. It should, however, give me a lengthy amount of time before they wear out.

I should mention that I've done all this for the sake of fun. I'm not taking this at all one bit serious, hence my sloppyness. I've also swapped all the interior lighting to green (kept the original ones in case i choose to revert)

i also got this kit for a rather cheap price of $20 (XenTec), more that im willing to invest in "fun." Took me approx. 20 min to remove, mount, and replace the bulbs. But im interested in seeing how you install the bulbs w/ projectors on your S80, so snap pictures and post back to this thread, could be helpful to many of us amateurs.

btw the pictures give the lights more justice than they deserve, the lights are soft and will not blind drivers. The HIDs i got are only the 3k version. Compared to the usual 6k-15k people use on their vehicles.
I'm sorry but your wrong on the fog lights, pulled right from the law book for CA:

(a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from
all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or
yellow, except as follows:
(1) Rear side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show red
to the front.
(2) The color of foglamps described in Section 24403 may be in the
color spectrum from white or yellow.
(3) An illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255


However i'm not ******* on your project because i know you mean good intentions but HID in a halogen housing will blind others, look in front of a mirror and it will be way to bright, trucks here do it all the time and we pull them over for it, its distracting to other motorists and very dangerous.
 
  #11  
Old 09-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by HDturbowagon View Post
yeah they actually make a HID bulb that fits that fog housing you just have to drill a hole through the plastic stock backing to run the wires
Where can this kit be found? or what is it called?
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
piv15
Volvo 240, 740 & 940
8
10-14-2012 10:40 PM
BRATHAMAN
Volvo S70
1
05-10-2009 10:17 PM
junkprospector
Volvo V70
3
04-07-2008 04:38 PM
Blozend
Volvo 850
15
12-15-2007 05:57 AM
RedBrick
Volvo 240, 740 & 940
2
02-16-2006 11:36 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hid fog light installation problem on 2000 s80


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.