Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

HU-801 read error

Old 02-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Default HU-801 read error

Hello everyone. I've got an 00' S80. I recently got a CD ERROR on my HU-801. I tried doing a little research and saw something that said that an unsupported audio codec or something like that could cause the cd player to become unresponsive. I'm not sure if this is true or not. I'm pretty sure that there is no mechanical failure so I don't know what else would cause the player to display "CD ERROR" and refuse to eject or accept any cd's into the slot. Whenever I switch between different cd's I can hear the spindle moving but nothing happens. I removed the fuse for the audio and put it back to see if that would have any effect but unfortunately there was none. I have 6 cd's in there and I would really like them back. I know that I don't want to go to the dealer and pay big $$$ to have it replaced. Any ideas or past experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 AM

I get the same code on mine. However I can hear stuff moving around in there and I can out the discs in and take them out, it just wont play them until it feels like it...POJ!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:36 PM

so ive seen on mathew's volvo site that on the older cars they wired up the tape deck with (s70's and 850's i think) two wires, as an input wit ha jack sticking out so you can connect and external mp3 player, you have to put in a dummy cassette so it turns the player on...anyone ever done that on this unit ?

anyone have this thing laying around and doesnt mind taking the picture of the back of it so i can look at it ?