Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Looking at an 02 Volvo s80 for $1300

Old 08-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Default Looking at an 02 Volvo s80 for $1300

I am looking at a 2002 Volvo S80 w/92k on it. The seller wants $1300. The caveat is that when you go to start it, it starts then dies. I've pasted the craigslist ad text below:

S80 4 Door Sedan 2002 gold in color excellent body and leather interior power roof new tires.The car quit running and will restart and die. We know the engine is in good working order, timing and such, and the transmission is very sound. Determination was arrived at by a certified Volvo mechanic.( Superior Volvo) 92K for mileage. All the diagnostics on major components checks out OK. Crank & Cam sensor Fuel relay E.C.M. B.C.M. Fuel delivery system, security system all are clear. The mystery continues. We haven't discovered the right fix so, If your brave and in the market for a new challenge need excellent parts or, know how to precisely troubleshoot, I think someone will be getting a good deal.

I have done some research on Volvo S80s it seems they can be either wonderful cars or total nightmares. Would it be worth trying to invest in this one, or should I just move on? I guess The fact that the certified Volvo mechanic couldn't figure out the issue worries me some. Thanks for all your help!

Old 08-03-2013, 08:06 PM

Did they check the fuel pressure? Maybe the ignition switch?? I had a Saab that did the same thing. Replaced the ignition switch and no problems. Seems like a good price. I'd take a gamble.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:22 PM

hmm a bit tough decision. do you have some pictures. ??

Old 08-03-2013, 09:38 PM

I haven't actually talked with the seller yet. The price looks tempting though. There were no pictures with the ad. I was going to ask the seller for pictures. The first thought that crossed my mind was that there has to be a reason they are selling this car for that low price versus the other S80s in my area.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:53 AM

I would read it with Vida & DiCE first. Just to be sure that certified Volvo mechanic did not missed something

Old 08-04-2013, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by dartheyeball View Post
I haven't actually talked with the seller yet. The price looks tempting though. There were no pictures with the ad. I was going to ask the seller for pictures. The first thought that crossed my mind was that there has to be a reason they are selling this car for that low price versus the other S80s in my area.
well its always obviou if some one is selling the car for a lower price prolly means that they want to get rid of the car either the car has problems or just that they are moving to to a different city/country. In any case i am guessing its due to some problems in the car. If you really want the S80 then you will have to dig in to the cars history , either by taking to a volvo dealer shop , get carfax, drive the car and check all AC and buttons work, even getting to know a bit about the seller. Does he has other car , if not then how clean is the S80.

But from the description looks like the car has problems as pointed by the seller. i just say stay away from it. Older S80s have lot of problems . I dont want you to get into a situation where after buying the car you are spending $$$ only on repairs. The car should be all repaired up and all you have to do is drive and enjoy the car.