Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Is my coolant fan supposed to run at all times?

Old 03-16-2018, 11:15 AM
Default Is my coolant fan supposed to run at all times?

I'm curious, as mine is not turning on when i turn the car over / start it up. Before i investigate further, could you tell me if it's only supposed to run when the car starts to get hot, or all the time?

Old 03-17-2018, 07:26 AM

I am assuming that you are referring to the radiator fan. They only run when either the engine temperature justifies cooling and/or the air conditioning condenser's pressure is high enough to justify cooling.

Otherwise, it does not run. The concept of running the fan on demand saves power and fuel.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by tony1963 View Post
I am assuming that you are referring to the radiator fan. They only run when either the engine temperature justifies cooling and/or the air conditioning condenser's pressure is high enough to justify cooling.

Otherwise, it does not run. The concept of running the fan on demand saves power and fuel.
I very much appreciate your response. I ask because I'm trying to figure out whether my radiator fan works at all. My coolant was spewing out of the overflow the other day and the temp guage was read as normal. Any advice on that?

Old 03-31-2018, 09:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Andrew Allen West View Post
I very much appreciate your response. I ask because I'm trying to figure out whether my radiator fan works at all. My coolant was spewing out of the overflow the other day and the temp guage was read as normal. Any advice on that?
It sounds like you might have a bad head gasket.
I would do a compression test done to your engine.
I hope I'm wrong but that's the same thing that happened to my failed project car ( I bit off more than I can handle with this car) , once I got it to run that is. Temp gauge was showing normal operating tempratempe but coolant was spewing out of the over flow. Compression test confirmed a bad head gasket. I know that it's not the answer you were looking for, but I hope that this helps.