Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Need help with Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Transmission

I just bought a 2000 S80 T-6 with 123k miles for my wife. I wanted something reliable and safe for my wife to drive around in with our two babies. Im assuming I made a mistake with thinking this is a reliable car. I bought the car last tuesday evening and today the service transmission urgent message came on. After reading all the horror stories on here now im scared I should get rid of this car and go with a volkswagen or something. If i do decide to get the trans rebuilt are there some updated or upgraded parts to use to ensure future reliability? we put less than 250 miles on it only to have this happen. I first noticed a little slipping when going in and out of 3rd it seemed like. I felt a hard shift now and then too. The fluid level is almost a quart high it appeared. The fluid is a darker red color and smells burnt. Im assuming my clutch frictions are worn? The transmission shop is gonna let me know tomorrow what is needed. Is it possible to do a flush and get the software update and keep going? Would it benefit from a trans cooler?

Please help we spent all our money on this heap. This sucks because we both absolutely love this car.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Need help with Transmission

It could be something really simple.
Might not be a bad idea to have the fluid changed and have it checked for software upgrades.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:26 AM

Just called my volvo dealer. Its 140 to update the software. I told him the situation and he recommended updating the software first as well. He also said if I get it updated and then I get the tranny rebuilt I would have to come in again after the rebuild to get it programmed again. Does that sound right? Also if I do get it rebuild are there any upgraded or beefier parts I can use to make it more reliable? I had planned to do some power mods to this car. If its hopeless with the tranny then im just gonna sell it and move on.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Administrator

I don't think anyone offers better parts you might want to check with GM they use the tranny in the caddy's as well.

Sometimes you have to go back for an upgrade after it is rebuilt and sometimes you don't.

I would try the update first before doing anything else. I have seen software fix shifting issues many times.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:24 PM

Heres an update. Transmission shop recommends a rebuild(obviously). The fluid is dark and when he dropped the pan is smelled awfully burnt up. he also said someone had dropped the pan recently and cleaned it out and replaced the filter and also some pan bolts were missing. Trans shop quoted me 2700 for complete rebuild worst case scenario on price. Should come in cheaper. There are a ton of upgraded parts he named off he was going to put in it for that price. I just find it funny the private dealer i bought it from said he drove it around for a month and said he experienced no probs. Now i find out that the trans was opened up recently. This car cost me over 6000 dollars. It lasted not quite a full week and made it 200-250 miles b4 shooting craps. With the burnt up smell do you think i still should go and have it programmed or just rebuild it? Im going to talk to the dealer and see if i can get a refund or have him pay for the rebuild. This is just ridiculous.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Administrator

I agree with you. I was going to say if the fluid was dark it must have been in there for a while but if he says it is a new filter then I guess not.

It is hard to say new fluid with the software might help. I haven't driven it myself so it is hard to say.

Sorry I wish I had better news thats about all I can do from here.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:10 PM

Thanks for all your help so far. We will see what the next few days bring. Im gettin a few difference opinions from other shops.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:43 PM

bring it to Aamco, I just got mine rebuilt from them and Im happy with the job they did. They also are giving out 10% service key chain tags too, so maybe you can ask for one near your area to use on the repair order if you decide to go with them (those are really new, so maybe they havnt reached your area).

Some things I had to have addressed after the rebuild were:

if the car is vibrating abnormally or isnt the same as before, this isnt a "break in" side effect fora rebuilt transmission. They(Aamco) told me it was, and it turned out to be a bad torque converter that they had replaced. took me a few weeks to have addressed.

make sure they properly put all the seals back, they had to go back in on 3 separate occassions to fix some leaks.

they forgot to put the boot in stearing column twice, and said that they never touched that area, but both times they worked on it, they had some how forgot that piece so I got a Air rushing noise, make sure they dont forget to do that on yours. I didnt bother with them, my delearship just filed it under my warranty company.

When this was finally done and over with he generously added a 4year 50,000 mile warranty on my rebuild for the issues that I hadto go back for .

The staff I delt with in my area were really nice - called back when they promised, gave me updates daily.