Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Need your opinions on my turbo(s) (99 S80 T6)

Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Default Need your opinions on my turbo(s) (99 S80 T6)

Some of you may have seen my posts on matthewsvolvosite about some of this. Anyway, long story short head gasket blew in the T6 and im in the middle of the process of putting it all back together again. I'm not new to turbo cars, but I am new to examining turbos so I needs some help.

On turbo #2 I noticed some signs of very light contact of the compressor wheel and housing. However when I pulled it apart it has writing on the inside as if it has been rebuilt already. I cant get the wheel to hit the housing by hand but its very close. My theory is that the contact happened to the previous owner and he had the turbo rebuilt.... Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think, does this theory reasonable to you?

Oil consumption is next to nil with both of the turbos based on the appearance of the plumbing. These pics were taken before any cleaning was done.

Any ideas on what axial and radial play there should be in these Mitsubishi TD03-8Gs? I have a dial indicator to check it with...

You can see the slight discoloration where the housing was rubbed at some stage in this one.

No signs of oil leakage, overheating or anything nasty really that I can see.

Compressor, note writing on CHF, leads me to believe its been rebuilt.

Pic of the turbine side

Side view of CHF with both wheels. Turbine looks OK to me