Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

New Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Brakes

Spark plugs are pretty easy, you just need a spark plug socket (they have a bushing inside the socket to hold the plug while you install and uninstall - you should be able to get at an autoparts store) and a ratchet with an extension. You can get basic OEM style spark plugs, they should be under $3.00 each at somewhere like Autozone (you can get them from the dealership, they might run you a few dollars more), and you'll need 6 (obviously). You'll also need a spark plug gapper which you can buy at Autozone (or similar) for under $2.00. The gap is the distance between the electrode and the contact and is measured in inches (amazingly enough, something not in metric). The T6 has a gap of .032. The plugs may be close to this gap already when you buy them, otherwise you'll need to bend or compress the contact slightly. NGK is the type of plug that is OEM style.

Cabin filter, not sure where it is located, but it cannot be a hard part to replace (I'llhave to look it up).

In regards to your question, the caliper piston is what causes your brakes to activate, when you push your brake pedal down, pressurized fluid pushes through the brake lines and causes the piston to move out and push the pads onto the rotor to stop. The C-Clamp is used to "reset" the piston to 0 position, once you start driving, the piston will push back out and work normally.

Two warnings though, first, don't press the brake pedal while you have your caliper and pads off, this can cause the piston to push out and then you're looking at either rebuilding the caliper or replacing it, which is more work. The second, when you first start moving your car be careful, because it will take a little more pressure to stop at first, this will correct once the piston releases back out.

The only other thing I'm not sure about, is the rear caliper, sometimes they require a special adapter and a ratchet to push the caliper back in, they're not expensive, but you won't be able to push them in with a C-Clamp. The adapter attaches to the ratchet like a socket and you use your ratchet with this adapter to "twist" the piston back into the caliper. The adaptor has little ridges that mirror with the notches on the piston. I'm not sure if yours will require it (youcan rent these at an Autozone if you need it - http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP345/...ductDetail.htm) or you can purchase cheap versions to do what you need.

In regards to the pads from MySwedishParts.com, yes they are a Volvo Dealer with an online website that they use to wholesale parts from. The pads will be OEM Volvo.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:30 PM

You convinced me.
I'll order the parts tomorrow. I'll do the front brakes and rotors first. I think I'll buy a Chilton's manual as well.
You might not be around if a crisis comes up.
Thanks for your help. I will try to do the work next Friday. I hope I won't have to call Enterprise by the evening.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey howardr..... I say buy the parts from eeuroparts if you can, the free shipping is prompt and everything there is OEM... so check it out

secondly, im no mechanic but if you can do a brake job, then spark plugs is nothing....
You can go to advance or autozone or any of these places and get the bosch plugs for the car for as little as 2.50 each depending on what line/model you want... I went with the top of the line bosch irridium fusion, for about $8 each but thats not really necessary
regarding gapping, dont bother, check the spark plug that you are buying and most likely if it is bosch, you will realise that they dont need to be gapped thus eliminating a potentially large source of error..

last, the cabin air filtr, you have to know what HVAC system you have on your car, if it is equiped with IAQS, then you need the carbon activated filter, if not, then you can use either that or the regular filter...

I assume your doing a full tune up on the car so dont forget your air filter also..

Old 04-12-2008, 06:43 AM

You know Lewis, it's funny that the 60K service doesn't include a full tune-up. It is one of the things that bothered me. I do not know how to do that. In fact, I don't know how to do anything, but the brakes seems like something I can accomplish.
If you ae not a mechanic, how do you know so much about this stuff. Have you been fixing your own Volvo(s) for awhile?

Old 04-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I'v only had my volvo for 9 months now, 02 S80 2.9 (102,000 miles) and ive been trying my best to find out as much as I can about my car, I still cant do much of the maintaince myself but I know what needs to be done and when to do it..

I was looking at the volvo stealership service schedule and they did mention ther air filter every 30,000 miles, so basically all that we discussed above + the air filter is the entire reccomended service, the rest of it is just basic inspections.. (for which the stealership wants to charge $600 labour)
There are loads of threads on here about the cabin air filter and how to get to it, and which one to use.. so if in doubt consult that.

I fortunately havent needed to do any brake work (thank the Lord) because the guy who had the car before me did a full $850 brake job just over a yr ago including new rotors etc... only thing is he did it at a place near me called just brakes.. a pretty prominent brake speciality place, just I doubt they would have used genuine volvo pads or oem rotors etc..

Old 04-12-2008, 09:41 AM

Oops.
Sorry Nicolas, I replied to Lewis thinking it was you. Sorry to both of you guys. I am ready to tackle this brake job, but a tune-up? Not likely.
Have you ever gone to ebay to look for repair manuals? There is a guy selling these rather neat DVD versions which he claims are what are sent to the dealerships for $30 with shipping.
I would love anyone's opinion on this, or on anything for that matter.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:25 AM

For me, I grew up surrounded by mechanics...my one brother runs his own shop about 20 minutes north of where I live, he specializes in large machinery and diesel, but has a full service side for general auto including automotive HVAC. My other brother has built a few dozen dirt track race cars so he has his share of automotive know how.

Then there is me, I actually am a financial analyst and work in an office day to day, but I hate not knowing how to do stuff, so when I need repairs done, if I have the time, I'll bring it to my brother and actually help him do the repair. Sometimes for sake of time and because of a specialized service from a dealership, I'll still take my car to a dealership.

Back onto subject, I'm not a big fan of the ebay sellers books/guides, the chilton will be more then sufficient for your basic repairs.