Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

New owner of an S80

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of an S80

Hey Guys,

I just bought a 2000 Volvo S80 2.9 L6 with 114k Miles on it. I had a few questions

1. Oil Question: Can I put 5w20 or 0w20 synthetic oil in the car? and if so what would be the advantages or disadvantages?

2. AirBag: Is there a way I can reset the airbag light? I am going for the DMV inspection soon, and need that resetted.

3. Lights: I would like to put HID lights in it, and I saw online the H7 bulb fits in the car and it does both Hi-Beam and Low Beam. However when looking at HID kits they only output Low Beam. Are there two separate bulbs or does one bulb do both? I would like to get Hi-beam and Low-beam HIDs.

4. Speed Sensor: The check engine light is on, and the mechanic that checked the car said that its the speed sensor on the transmission. However, when I was trying to look for the part I only found ABS wheel speed sensor(1 for each side). Is the speed sensor located on the tranny or the wheels?

5. Evap System: The check engine light also indicated that there is a problem with the evap system, and the mechanic said that there is a leak in the evap system. So my question is how dangerous is that, and what are the disadvantage of an evap leak? Is this something pricey to repair? Is it even worth repairing?

Thanks in advance for all the answer.

P.S. even if you know an answer to any on of the questions above, I'd appreciate it.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why did you buy the car if it already had problems. and did you not did some research before buying that particular year model?..anyways since you asked:

For the HID there are two separate bulbs, one for high and low beam. Dont get two HIDs..just get HID for low beam. You dont need HID for high beam. Plus you need to get good quality since Volvo cars have their headlights on ALL time and you cannot turn is off (sucks)..

For resetting any service light..just follow this link :

I think you can put 0w20 synthetic oil, but i say stick with what the manual says. 2000 S80 already have lot of problems, so why create more. who knows you might get some leak or something. So just stick with what the engine requires.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:37 PM

Hi akabond,

First of all thank you for replying, the reason why i purchased this is because it was my dad's boss' car, and he gave my dad a pretty good deal on it.

Is there a way to reset the airbag light? Also, is the speed sensor on the wheels or the transmission?

Old 07-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm well you could disconnect the battery and wait for few mins and then reconnect and see if that work. Thats the only thing i can think of
I THINK the engine speed sensor is located near the flywheel/flexplate area

Old 07-12-2012, 07:42 PM

Do you have a Traction control and ABS light on. What are the symptons? When that sensor goes bad normally you start having intermittent issues with the speedometer. If you could bring the exact codes gettin it scanned at autozone or something is of better help.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:35 AM

I just got an S80 also. Mine is a 2001, and it has a few issues too, although most of mine are easy-door glass, side mirror, a few little dents. I had a Volvo some years ago, and wanted one again. Our first one was a 79 wagon-the thing was like a tank, I think we had close to 3/4 of a million miles on it. This one is a little more high tech- It is an adventure just figuring out how to work everything!