Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Oil Leak S80 2001 - Cam plug cover possible culprit

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak S80 2001 - Cam plug cover possible culprit

Hi, I am writing this because I have spent the past 4 days trying to diagnose an oil leak on my S80 2001 turbo T-6. I had several problems that occurred about the same time. My S80 started to run rough.. especially at idle. This problem became worse quickly and then I started to see smoke out of the engine. I got the car home and checked the codes. I had a bad O2 sensor (which I knew) but also a bad MAP Sensor. Some information on this forum convinced me to change the MAP sensor. This did indeed fix the idle problem. However I was now getting lots of smoke and burnt oil smell. I could not tell where the oil was leaking and I was suspecting the turbo oil return line (as has been noted in several forum posts). I decided to wipe all of the oil off the engine as best as I could and then drive it again to see if I could spot a leak. After doing this 2-3 times I finally noticed that it appeared the leak was coming from the cam cover. I then noticed that the cam plug toward the rear of the engine was about 3/4 up (almost off). I pulled it off and then when the engine cooled I pounded it back down (almost flush with the cam cover).

I am attaching pictures for those who are interested.

However, I do have some questions. I am wondering how this cap might have loosened??? Is there a possibility of a different problem occurring? Perhaps all is well and I fixed my oil leak... that would be nice.

Attached Thumbnails Oil Leak S80 2001  - Cam plug cover possible culprit-cam-shaft-cover-2nd-view.jpg   Oil Leak S80 2001  - Cam plug cover possible culprit-cam-shaft-cover.jpg  
Old 07-06-2010, 04:23 PM

My 01 S80 was leaking oil as well. I just had the timing belt replaced and the shop claimed the cam seal was bad. They replaced it. Still some drips but I think it's due to oil still in the bottom cover. I'll know after my next oil change but leaking is much less.

Good tip though. I'm sure many other S80 driveways are stained with oil

Kris

Old 08-06-2010, 01:49 PM

Just an observation

After having the timing belt service at 105 miles I immediatly sprung a cam cover seal leak. The dealer is repuatble and I know the service manager. He said it was totally unrelated and afte some research I accepted that. They convinced me to wait and see as it is an expensive job (labor not parts). They touqured the cover for me and the leak slowed and eventually went awayafter a month. A year later I have no drips or smell & the car does not use much oil in a 7500 mile change interval (maybe a pint). I use sythetic which can find smaller leaks but protect turbos better.