Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

p2177, p2179 fuel Air Metering Too Lean Off Idle

Old 06-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Red face p2177, p2179 fuel Air Metering Too Lean Off Idle

Hello,

Please help. I had this fault code pop up about a month ago and reset it, no problem. Two days ago, the code reappeared, I checked for vacuum leaks and found the air filter canister cover was installed crooked with one clasp undone (left this way by the dealer).

After the simple fix, I reset the code only to have it come back today.

1. Am I risking damage if I ignore this?
2. What should I also check?

Oh, its a 2004 S80

Thank you for your ideas!

Scott

Last edited by sweets80; 06-24-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Mass flow might be going bad.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Red face p2177, p2179 fuel Air Metering Too Lean Off Idle

Tech, thanks for the try. I replaced MAF sensor. My tough luck, the codes came right back after a couple of engine starts/trips, no change for the better. The codes light up while traveling at low speed and low engine load- typically decelerating.

I checked vacuum connections and all those in view look clean and tight. Could I be missing some out of view from the top front of engine?

Any other ideas are so much appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 07-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Administrator

You need to try to pressurize the system and check for leaks.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:47 PM

After getting this issue resolved a year ago and thought I would post the cure for the benefit of the curious:
One week later the car developed another symptom: It would stall with no warning in traffic, on highway, etc... I immediately took it to the dealer. They replaced the MAF with OEM that I had replaced with aftermarket. Lesson to learn: replace MAF sensor with OEM Bosch only. Next, they kept the car 4 days and drove daily before isolating that it needed replacing of an an oxygen sensor too. Lesson to learn: the bill goes up exponentially when you have two difficult to diagnose problems going wrong acting together, don't put off resolving the little stuff. PS: corner mechanic with all diagnostic tools was no help. It required the dealer to solve the problem. Good luck to all.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:44 PM

Hi i also have a volvo s80 and i just got it from the dealer less than a month ago. it just got to 100,000 miles yesterday as a took a 6 hour drive. today when i drove to town is when my engine light came on. i had the codes read on it and this p2177 is also what came on. I also have been getting a light on my display screen about "bulb failer position light".... im beginning to wonder if there is a few recalls on the s80 or something...it really sucks bc i just got the car and i absolutely love it!!!

Old 01-01-2018, 11:04 AM
Default O2 Sensor

Originally Posted by sweets80 View Post
After getting this issue resolved a year ago and thought I would post the cure for the benefit of the curious:
One week later the car developed another symptom: It would stall with no warning in traffic, on highway, etc... I immediately took it to the dealer. They replaced the MAF with OEM that I had replaced with aftermarket. Lesson to learn: replace MAF sensor with OEM Bosch only. Next, they kept the car 4 days and drove daily before isolating that it needed replacing of an an oxygen sensor too. Lesson to learn: the bill goes up exponentially when you have two difficult to diagnose problems going wrong acting together, don't put off resolving the little stuff. PS: corner mechanic with all diagnostic tools was no help. It required the dealer to solve the problem. Good luck to all.
Do you mind if ask, which O2 Sensor ended up causing the problem?