Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Picture of Timing Piece that Snapped Off and Engine Repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picture of Timing Piece that Snapped Off and Engine Repair

Thanks to all who gave comments and advice for the threads: Mechanic Mishap with Timing Belt, Opinions on New Engine or Repair, Cam has Timing Piece?, Pick up on Cam Timing Snapped Off.

This saga is coming to a close, thank God. The mechanic is taking full responsibility and paying for all the costs to repair the engine. He will also warranty his work for 12 months or 12,000 miles. I still don't know what this pickup / sleeve is. I'm attaching a picture. Can anyone identify it? Also, here is a picture of the repaired engine. Is it possible to see from this if the engine repair looks ok? One last thing. 3 valves were replaced. Two intake, and one exhaust. They used Schottle valves. Do those have a good reputation?

Thanks in advance for your continued support. I can't tell you how much it helped me to have you guys to answer questions. This has been super stressful as you can imagine, and y'all really helped ease my mind.

Best,

Sherry

Attached Thumbnails Picture of Timing Piece that Snapped Off and Engine Repair-engine.jpg   Picture of Timing Piece that Snapped Off and Engine Repair-metal-sleeve-top.jpg   Picture of Timing Piece that Snapped Off and Engine Repair-metal-sleeve.jpg  
Old 07-25-2014, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be the impulse wheel for one of the cams. Unless they locked the cams when they did the timing belt which I doubt, they more than likely broke it when they took it off to inspect the damage. With that picture it's kind of hard to tell the status of the engine but I'm surprised that only 3 valves were bent usually a lot more get damaged.

Last edited by damien360; 07-26-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I agree with damien. There really isn't any way for that to break when just doing a timing belt. I'm sure they broke it taking it apart. It is not the cause of the belt mishap.

No idea on the valves, we use OEM ones.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, that makes sense, they probably broke it when they took it apart. I went on the internet and it looks like the Schottle valves are more expensive than the Volvo valves, so hopefully that counts for something.

Thanks to both of you for your comments!

Best,

Sherry