Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

S80 creaks, pops, groans...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S80 creaks, pops, groans...

RE: 2002 Volvo S80, 135k

I have read various threads hereon subject of errant noises coming from the front end of various S80s here. Most of them are older threads, so I thought a new thread might be helpful, since our cars likely have more miles on them now.

I have replaced pretty much everything in the front end, but still have some pops I want to get rid of. Items replaced are struts (Monroe OE Spectrum), strut bearings (O'Rielly MasterPro), strut bushings (first Moog, then Volvo OEM), wheel bearings/hubs (NAPA), sway bar links (Moog), upper engine torque mount (FCP), right side engine-to-frame mount, lower control arms (first FCP generic, then Volvo OEM). I ahve also replaced both driveshafts, so the drive-shaft to hub connection is pretty fresh, and I have tried the XC90 axle bolts with the rubber dampeners. New brake pads and rotors (NAPA).

As best as I can tell, the only things left are:
4 sub frame to body mounts
2 engine/transmission to subframe mounts
1 lower engine to subframe torque link

First question: Am I missing anything on what is left?

Next, now that we have more miles on these cars, how are you finding the sub frame mounts to be holding up? Worn out? Difficult or easy to change?
I see IPD has a polyurethane insert to "stiffen" the existing mounts, claiming they were soft to promote a luxury ride, and quietness. Also, I see a TSB exist for some models (early?) to insert two O rings into the rear sub frame mounts. I presume these go in the same spot as the IPD stiffeners?

How about those engine/transmission mounts? How are they holding up at this advanced age/mileage?

And the lower torque link?

If you have replaced any of these items and found success at stopping the popping, please fell free to jump in!

Thanks