Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Stealership did timing belt, now I get P0013

Old 06-28-2010, 04:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealership did timing belt, now I get P0013

I took my S80 to Jack$on Volvo. They did the timing belt and cam seals. First of all, the mechanic broke a hose and it was very temperamental in the mornings and progressively got worse. I found the hose and fixed it. Then I got a CEL, so bought a scanner to get the code. Got P0013 about a week or more after the stealership did the work on the timing belt.

Before I bring it back (if I do), I want to know if this is something they may have fudged? If so, what do I say to the service advisor?

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by s80turbo
I took my S80 to Jack$on Volvo. They did the timing belt and cam seals. First of all, the mechanic broke a hose and it was very temperamental in the mornings and progressively got worse. I found the hose and fixed it. Then I got a CEL, so bought a scanner to get the code. Got P0013 about a week or more after the stealership did the work on the timing belt.

Before I bring it back (if I do), I want to know if this is something they may have fudged? If so, what do I say to the service advisor?

Thanks!
It seems common. I had the same thing. When my belt was replaced both CAM's were set one tooth off. So they did fudge something. Only other possibility is when the put the upper belt cover on they pinched the wire or wires to the CVVT solenoid.

Jim

Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 AM

take it back and demand they do it right--these folks are supposed to be experts and should stand behind what they do. There's no way i'd accept that. If you take it somewhere else or try something on your own--and return to that stealer--they'll claim it was the other guy and charge more.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree take it back.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:23 PM

I must admit, I'm a little intimidated. They have me, and I think they are likely to say something else is wrong once I take it back and they will want more money. Once I cleared it with my scanner, the CEL came back on once, but I cleared it once again and I haven't seen it since. It's gone for now and lots of cranks since last cleared. It took awhile for it to come on the second time too. But, admittedly something isn't quite right. It runs great though. But, it might run better if it were 100% done right.

I can man up and take it back though, which is the right thing to do. I am just afraid they will try to screw me or plant some seed that will cause more headaches down the road because I brought it back.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That code points to it being either off timing, likely, or a bad reset valve, which probably did not get messed with.

ECM-6440
Camshaft reset valve

Old 06-30-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by s80turbo
I must admit, I'm a little intimidated. They have me, and I think they are likely to say something else is wrong once I take it back and they will want more money. Once I cleared it with my scanner, the CEL came back on once, but I cleared it once again and I haven't seen it since. It's gone for now and lots of cranks since last cleared. It took awhile for it to come on the second time too. But, admittedly something isn't quite right. It runs great though. But, it might run better if it were 100% done right.

I can man up and take it back though, which is the right thing to do. I am just afraid they will try to screw me or plant some seed that will cause more headaches down the road because I brought it back.
If its the cam's being off a tooth it will come back. It sometimes takes a day.....sometimes a week. But you never know when. Hope for the best.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:04 AM

Thanks everyone who chimed in. It helps give me a little more confidence and sound more intelligent when I take it back, and I'll likely take it back. Because, they can fix it, and should.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:06 AM

Oh, can the dealership test the reset valve? I can already see it, they will say it's the reset valve and try to stick me for that, then they will move the timing belt back to where it should be cause they'll also understand it's off a tooth. Can I test the reset valve with a multimeter?

Old 07-02-2010, 10:34 AM

Be honest with them. Let them know that you are part of a forum. Bank over advanced is a sign of the cam or cam's being off. All indications are that the belt was installed one tooth off.

It easy to reset. The cam's turn separate from the gear. Everything doesn't have to come apart.

Don't mention the CVVT solenoid. Let them mention it. Its very unlikey the solenoid went. My mechanic says he has never changed one. Sometimes the screen gets gummed up because of waiting too long to change the oil and sometime times one of the wires get pinched but thats about it.

I tried the CVVT change that and also changed the cam sensor. Code still came back. My cam's were both off.