Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Tech, can you answer a few ?s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Tech, can you answer a few ?s?

I beleive it will be an entire harness. I know they are expensive. Like $2000.00 to $3000.00.

You can't cut and splice because Air move through the center of the wire.

I would tell you to try to find a wiring diagram and back track but you need a special tool to remove the ECM.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tech, that's the info that I thought I'd get. It proves my point at why I'd rather do my own troubleshooting...

Is Volvo so idiotic and regressive that they don't want their techs messing with their "perfect" engineering? Maybe so.

If I'm not mistaken, ONLY the oxygen sensor wires (the sensor to the connector) utilizes the wire surround for oxygen movement for the pump cell. I know not to backprobe or damage those wires. However, the wiring to the PCM doesn't facilitate oxygen capture or movement.

A special tool? I use a thin blade, blunted, long screwdriver to move the PINK track slides to remove the PCM. I had to remove it to test the continuity from the connector to the PCM and the fusebox for power supply.

I was hoping that you had detected that I'm not an average grease monkey... I've rebuilt my own engines for years, and I've been exposed to some technology (replaced the head gasket on a 2000 328i (double VANOS)--without having to fork out big $ for specific tools). However, it's taken awhile to get a hold of this because Volvo is very guarded with their information. And if you'll follow my methodoly it isn't much different from what you would have done had it been brought in to you.

I'll pull my harness and inspect it tonight. I'll take my chances at repairing it if it's chaffed or fused with another wire.
I keep a tab on my time while actually working on the car (it's been a little over 7 hrs). I look at it as keeping the mind active and it helps relieve the stress of my regular job.

I do appreciate your input and I'm sure I speak for everyone on here, past and present, you deserve a reward! Thanks for the help!

Old 01-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Administrator

I hope you find it easy!!!

Keep me posted. I will see if I can find anymore info for you as well.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:01 PM

Tech,

The wiring harness checked out fine. That left me with the PCM as the problem. Which ended my troubleshooting path.

Took to dealer and they've had it for several days. My instructions were for them to call me when they thought they had a solution.

As I suspected, they called the first day stating I needed new oxygen sensors, I told them to hold off until I was able to fax them the receipts from FCPGroton for my less than a month old sensors. The Service Advisor said he would verify with the mechanic whether he was sure it was the oxygen sensors. The SA called me back to state that the sensors were okay. At that point I gave him a list of the new parts that were recently installed. I dropped by the dealership on Friday to talk to the technician working on my car. He stated that he tried new sensors in the front and rear positions, a new MAF sensor, and leak tested with no luck. He checked the seals on the turbo, the spark plugs, the injectors, and was thinking he might try a new fuel pump or a new computer.

My question is if I had a bad fuel pump, why would just one bank be affected? And I thought that the fuel flow was an on-demand current feed pump (meaning the computer determines the current flow to the fuel pump to match flow/volume needs).

Lastly, I know Volvo has computer updates. Can't an update be downloaded to the computer? Why a new computer? He implied that it was a software issue. TIA for the help.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:17 PM
Administrator

I would not guess Fuel Pump. I would start with a software upgrade if it is avalible. The computer will tell them if one is avalible.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:47 AM

hello iam new here on this forum i would like to no what could be wrong with my new to me 1998 v70 the car run abit rough /and shake i chang the plug/wire/ cap/ rotor/ o2sensor front1/ clean the TB , inspected all vaccum hose,s did compression test cyl,2/3 very low compression ,i am almost ready to give up on this car,, but i like the car but need to to know what is the cause of it runnig the way it is the code,s that i pulled are p0300 p0302p0303 p0172

Old 09-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Administrator

How low was the compression?
You might have a burnt valve or a blown headgasket.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The original poster of this thread never posted how the story ended. I wonder what the real problem was.