Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

throttle module replaced, same problem?

Old 04-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle module replaced, same problem?

HI, I have a 2000 volvo S80 2.9 and I recently replaced the throttle module after it refused to go anywhere at 1 of the biggest intersections in north carolina. Anyway we had it replaced to the tune of $876.80 and after one week its sounds like its stalling or firing irregularly. This usually happens when its in the garage overnight and is turned on in the morning then goes away. So I ask you guys is it the throttle module? or did i just spend 876.80 for a new throttle module i dont need?

P.S. some volvo mechanic i talked to said that you can "clean" the throttle and that this can fix the throttle module instaid of replacing your throttle module has anyone tried this if so any sucsess?

Old 04-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: throttle module replaced, same problem?

If you catch it and clean it before it fails all the way it will last alot longer.
For the missfiring problem look at 2 things cracked coils for the plugs and fuel residual pressure.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:13 PM

thanks tech
i am still having problems with the volvo Just got a software upgrade after the checkengine light came on but seems a little stange that a check engine light would come on due to it needing a upgrade. Anyway the check engine light came on again this morning. the car is having horrible preformance and sputters a little on cold start. the car doesnt have a ton of miles on it (40k) pretty good for a 2000. I am hopeing this doesnt turn into a 1999 s80 horror story

Old 05-08-2005, 02:42 AM
Administrator

Did they clean it when they upgraded the software?
If not try cleaning it and see if it is better.

Old 05-10-2005, 12:25 PM

hey well know they say all 4 o2 sensors are out on the car i think this is bs (but my spouse doesnt) should i hae them replaced or not?

Old 05-10-2005, 02:02 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

James, visit: matthewsvolvosite.com and there you will learn about Volvo electronic throttle bodies. Enter: c-70 and you will see a posting about the investigation the govt' is undertaking re: electronic throttle bodies that Volvo placed in their autos from 1997 through 2001. Copy the information as you quite possible will be able to recover the monies that you have spent.

Old 05-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Administrator

If the codes lead directly to the O2 sensors then you might want to replace them.
The sensors can get contaminated and go bad.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:23 PM

I have just been informed that my Throttle Control Unit, which I assume is the ETM or throttle module has to be replaced on my 99 S80. This at the cost of 1100 bucks. I am extremely ticked off as I purchased this car just a month ago and had the impression that volvo's were high quality cars. I have read where the ETM's may be recalled or covered in a class action suit, but that still does not ease the pain of the 1100 dollars out of my pocket at this time. I have to go and change the ball joints on this car today, luckily they are'nt connected to the computer so I can do those myself......

Old 05-10-2005, 04:43 PM
reg

Yes, there is a proposed class action fomenting. In fact, there was a posting on this site a couple of months back as it pertained to the class action. What is interesting however is that the govt' is now involved as many of the throttle body failures have been catastrophic as to where the failures have occured and the inherent danger that was/is posed to the passengers. Volvo does not stand by their warranty such as the German and Japanese manufacturers do! In fact, Volvo seems to "hide" information from you and only become concerned when a specific individual has a problem.............and only then if you threaten action.

Old 05-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: oconnomo

I have just been informed that my Throttle Control Unit, which I assume is the ETM or throttle module has to be replaced on my 99 S80. This at the cost of 1100 bucks. I am extremely ticked off as I purchased this car just a month ago and had the impression that volvo's were high quality cars. I have read where the ETM's may be recalled or covered in a class action suit, but that still does not ease the pain of the 1100 dollars out of my pocket at this time. I have to go and change the ball joints on this car today, luckily they are'nt connected to the computer so I can do those myself......
If you bought it from some dealer or used car dealer and it has been less than 30 days you might be able to get them to pay for the repair.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:11 PM

Yeah, We wish, we checked into that. We went as far as to call the attorney general's office here in MN. They say we may have a case against the dealer, but only if we can prove beyond a doubt that the problem was known to him before we purchased the car.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:26 PM
reg

I am simply going to sit tight. The article I refered to indicates that the gov't is deciding on whether to "make" Volvo extend a warranty and in addition, repay those individuals who have had the ETB's replaced or cleaned. I work in the court system and have not taken any action against Volvo simply because the costs would be astronomical! Sit tight and keep an eye on the web site that I gave out.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:02 PM

Well I went back to my volvo mechanic that does work "under the table" he replaced what looked like an air mixture sensor for about $250 . He gave me afree alignment, tire rotation, oil change, and complete software upgrade of all systems. The car runs like a dream now. Just wanted to thank you guys 4 your help!

Old 05-16-2005, 10:26 PM
reg

Keep track of the proposed recall/reimbursement of the throttle body issue. Perhaps your "story" may have an even better ending!

Old 05-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Im glad you got it running good again.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:55 AM

Aloha...i recently bought a 1999 Volvo S70 I have some problems that need some good advice...various warning lights have come on/off...speedo and odo go on/off,,,along with A/C...other lights are (flashing) arrow,ETS,Brake,Service Eng(Steady),check eng.i tried to reset by removing batt teminal...but problem returned after a few min....sometimes need to shift to L to get moving...also engine lopes up and down at idle sometimes...turning engine off and restarting seems to help...i am poor and hope that i can repair this prob. w/ouy having to take it in to Volvo Hawaii...COULD ANYBODY HELP ME WITH SOUND ADVICE ??? My S70 has only 78k miles and usually has good acceleration/smooth idle....Mahalo Nui Loa,Robert

Old 06-12-2006, 08:57 AM

Aloha...i recently bought a 1999 Volvo S70 I have some problems that need some good advice...various warning lights have come on/off...speedo and odo go on/off,,,along with A/C...other lights are (flashing) arrow,ETS,Brake,Service Eng(Steady),check eng.i tried to reset by removing batt teminal...but problem returned after a few min....sometimes need to shift to L to get moving...also engine lopes up and down at idle sometimes...turning engine off and restarting seems to help...i am poor and hope that i can repair this prob. w/ouy having to take it in to Volvo Hawaii...COULD ANYBODY HELP ME WITH SOUND ADVICE ??? My S70 has only 78k miles and usually has good acceleration/smooth idle....Mahalo Nui Loa,Robert

Old 06-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: lopakaKea

Well if you have an ETS light that is coming on and staying on you need a new ETM. Which now should be covered under Volvo's 10yr. 200,000 mile warranty. Plus they should install some new updated ETM software as well. It can only be done by Volvo, so get it done now.