Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

timing belt strange noise?

Old 02-02-2009, 05:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question timing belt strange noise?

Just had my timing belt ,pulley and tensioneer replaced on my 2000 s80t .It was about that time (920000 miles) .
I go to start my baby up and the car sounds teribble.lould RUBBING NOISE COMING FROM THE TIMING BELT.The tech who did the work tells me that this is normal and is caused by the new parts thus making the timing belt a little tight,and will go away after the car has been driven 1000 miles or so.Well hey,i told him that that just doesn't sound right to me.His replied to that was it self adjusting and theres no way that it went on wrong.Is this true? Should i drive a 1000 miles and hope he's right or what.Please help.Thanks

Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Banned

One of the pros correct me if I'm wrong, but if you hear a belt slipping it must be the serpentine belt, not the timing belt. The timing belt has teeth on it. If it slips you'll get valve damage due to the S80's interference-type engine -- the pistons and valves occupy the same physical space, and only perfect timing prevents them from colliding. But maybe you're hearing some other kind of noise. Just because it started about same time as timing belt job doesn't necessarily mean the two are related (may or may not be).

He's right that it really can't go on wrong though, without triggering a warning light and code or immediately damaging the engine anyways. If it wasn't working "right" you probably wouldn't be able to drive the car, or it would run extremely poorly. If it's just making a noise but otherwise runs fine, then the timing belt is probably on right. But I'd get a second opinion from another local mechanic since it sounds like you don't trust this guy 100%. Could be he cheated and just changed the belt and not the pulley.

Disclaimer: I'm an amateur mechanic, so no warranties express or implied.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:25 PM

If you hear ANY rubbing after the belt change, worry...

You shouldn't. Wiggle the timing belt covers to see if it changes pitch or stops altogether. Rubbing means a problem.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:29 PM

I agree any rubbing noise is not a good thing and definitely not normal. I changed my timing belt recently and had a horrible rubbing noise once it was back together. It made me very uneasy, thinking the belt was going to snap any second.
It turned out to be the timing belt cover, at the bottom there is a rubber lip that was rubbing against the harmonic balancer. Once fixed it was as quiet as you'd think it should be. Hopefully that is your problem and not something more serious.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Red face

Just returned from the repair shop.It's a rubbing sound coming from the timing belt for sure.They want to check to see if they have it timed right????I GUESS.THE CAR runs fine though.So they told me to drive it a couple of days and if continues to bring it back and they will pull it off and see what's happening.I'm thinking the black cover might be rubbing against the pulley or sometime.i'll try moving it a little like you suggested to see if it makes a difference.Will let you know.Thanks Patrick
=p

Old 02-02-2009, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by patricknlisa
Just returned from the repair shop.It's a rubbing sound coming from the timing belt for sure.They want to check to see if they have it timed right????I GUESS.THE CAR runs fine though.So they told me to drive it a couple of days and if continues to bring it back and they will pull it off and see what's happening.I'm thinking the black cover might be rubbing against the pulley or sometime.i'll try moving it a little like you suggested to see if it makes a difference.Will let you know.Thanks Patrick
=p
There are two tabs that need to be in the correct positions to "lock" themselves in. One is near the firewall side, lower, attaching to the hard plastic. The other is near the accessory belt tensioner. Both tabs have proper spots. The rubber guard above the dampener should not be rubbing either. The top cover should lock in place as well. If anything, take the top cover off and push outward on the side cover a 1/2" to if the the noise goes away. You can also try rocking it from front to back.

I don't like the noises on the timing belt covers at all - and for the shop to recommend driving it around for a couple of days is zero reassurance.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:11 AM
Cool

Thanks everyone,Right as usuaul. It was the timing belt cover.Atleast now i now the problem and will bypass the shop and do it my self(i'll sleep better).Came into another little problem-minor,but caused from sloppy work.I discovered a light brown plastic cover dangling by the hormonic balencer.dirlectly behind the wheelwell.I've seen it before a few times but as far as knowing percisly where it belongs it's a no.I'm not going to even mention it yet to the repair shop,you see ,when they instaled the belt and pulley ,etc. they also installed 2 new struts, lower tie rods ,2 struts mounts ,and a order of "car runs like **** now".My nightmare was after picking it up and driving home crawling underneeth the car to see what the hell do.Well they did not tighten the blot on the tie rod.now i'm a little tick ,right .all work is paid through warantty co.,a hathem correct it or pay out of my pocket for someoneelse to do it.work a.they ended up removing and reinstaliig drivers side struct.low and behold drives as smooth as came be,.,got home and then back to complainting,now make a sounds,again