Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Transmission and Other Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission and Other Advice

Transmission Advice

My S80 has lost 1st gear and reverse, (going up inclines), however in winter mode it drives fine. Should I get the transmission rebuilt, or have a brand new one put in? It sounds like if I spend a few hundred more, that I might as well get a new one, but on the other hand, there are shady shops out there that say that they did a rebuild and they do a poor job on it etc...

Other Advice

I have let my car sit in my garage for the last 2.5 years (It is a heated and cooled garage). It really saddens me that I have left it to rot, but I am not sure what to do... When I garaged it, everything was still running. I also knew at the time I garaged my car, that I need a radiator as well because it is cracked. Needless to say, most if not all of the antifreeze is out of the car now. Other than that, I haven't really done anything with it because of money issues. Now that I am starting to save up for these repairs, I need to start making a list of things I need to do to get it running again. I know that when I am ready to get it running again, (aside from everything listed above), I need to check for wire/hose damage, new battery, oil change, new tires, and maybe new spark plugs (The plugs were 2 months old when the trans went out.) Is there anything else I need to do to get it running?

I really like my car and I know it is in sad shape but I don't want to sell my car.

Thanks in advance!