Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Transmission Seal Leakage

Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Default Transmission Seal Leakage

2004 S80 2.9L non-turbo Auto FWD 88,000 mi. Non-Viscous clutch
After replacing my Right (Passenger) side Drive Shaft, I am now having a little leakage at the Transmission Seal (where the shaft plugs into the tranny). Everything went fine during the remove & replace, however when the old shaft was slid out of the transmission, about a pint or so of transmission fluid drained out – IS THIS NORMAL? The seal was evidently keeping this fluid contained. When I completed installing the new shaft, I replaced the pint of fluid and took it out for a test drive. Everything looked and felt good – no leaks at that point. After checking the transmission fluid level – I found it was a little high – wish I hadn’t put in that pint. After a week or two of driving I have developed a leak coming from the seal/shaft area. I have a few questions:
- Should I replace the seal & how difficult a job is it? Is it a pry it out and tap the new one in type of job?
- Should I remove the shaft and let the trapped fluid drain and re-install the shaft – but this time don’t replace lost fluid?
- Is there supposed to be tranny fluid in this area or is that a result of over-filling?
- What sort of function does this seal provide? Is it to keep dust/dirt out (like a wheel bearing seal) or is it to keep tranny fluid in – in other words is this an active reservoir of the transmission fluid?
Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
placervillebob