Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

vacuum pump makes a buzzing sound after cars off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brobabs80
I found that putting your foot underneath the brake pedal and pulling back a bit will make the noise stop immediately. I may be just masking a problem that will eventually require service, but it eliminates the noise and works for now.
this maybe the switch dont know were it it on the s80 but the s40 is under the left wing i found it can be ajusted pull the cap off it and there is a hex key hole in the top try turning it till it stops and found that the pumps get a lot of dust in them fixed my old pump well just needed a clean out and im know selling it on ebay

Old 05-28-2011, 01:26 PM

hey tech, where is that valve located? Do you knoiw the part# by any chance? thanks!

Old 05-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default buzzing turned out to be...

...the fog lights. i had them disconnected and buzzing stopped. now the ac is freezing up, so will search for that link!

Old 05-29-2011, 03:19 PM

I have had my car (2002 S80) for 2 years and it has always done that. I thought it was just normal. You shut off the car and every once in a while you hear a buzz noise for about 5 to 10 seconds. And it does that for a few minutes after it has been shut off. I have not timed how long it is on or for how long it does it. I just figured it was normal. Everything else seems to be working fine, although my ABS module appears to be bad based on the symptoms, codes etc, but now I am wondering if this is a possible culprit instead of the module itself.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Default how's your...

...a/c? and strut mounts?

Old 06-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Default Vacum pump

Originally Posted by unbugai
well if you want to locate the buzzing... its almost directly under your air filter. the pump and all that is there...

but as far as ive learned its making vacuum in the brake booster... and im guessing its not holding vacuum so it keeps on pumping..... only thing i dont get is why the hell does the booster need vacuum after the cars off????

Just try replacing the vacum brake pump . They often go bad on these vehicles . It's about $120 on ebay and it will take you no more than 5 min to replace it . See if that will help

Old 06-15-2015, 06:50 PM

I had this happen to me a while back. As I investigated I literally saw something from the right side of the engine shoot off into oblivion and never found the piece. Turns out, the vacuum switch (P/N W0133-1971446 depending on your model) is two pieces, and includes an internal spring and a diaphragm. The plastic became brittle and caused both a vacuum leak and then the spring shot the top of the switch off of the car when I touched it.

The behavior of the switch was such that the vacuum pump ran continuously when the switch was in the failed state. Worth a look, unfortunately the switches aren't cheap at about 70 bucks.

Old 01-30-2023, 10:28 PM
Default Buzzing sound when car is turned off. Says it’s still on even if I take key out

Originally Posted by rerere
did you get an answer on this? i have the same issue. and now my key sticks when i turn it off - especially if car has been driven a long time. and now the battery is draining from somewhere. i think it's all related, so i would like to hear what info you received. thx.
Hello! Could you please let me know if you made any progress on this? let me know if you got an answer on this!!

Old 06-30-2023, 04:10 PM
Default Any answer for this

Originally Posted by rerere
did you get an answer on this? i have the same issue. and now my key sticks when i turn it off - especially if car has been driven a long time. and now the battery is draining from somewhere. i think it's all related, so i would like to hear what info you received. thx.
I have the same issues. says key is still in when I take it out. Makes that buzzing sound, but not all the time just randomly.. and it must put my car in emergency shut off or something because I have to disconnect the negative battery terminal to get the car started! Please let me know if anyone found anything else out. Thanks.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:53 PM
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by acm1017
I have the same issues. says key is still in when I take it out. Makes that buzzing sound, but not all the time just randomly.. and it must put my car in emergency shut off or something because I have to disconnect the negative battery terminal to get the car started! Please let me know if anyone found anything else out. Thanks.
even after I take key out it dings like the key is still in. Makes this weird buzzing noise after the car is off and I have to disconnect the negative battery terminal. Today my car won’t start at all. Please help!

Old 04-08-2024, 07:32 PM
Default It’s the parking break

so I think I figured out what the noise is.. it’s the parking brake.., not sure why it does it or also only why it does it randomly and not all the time!! I figured it out by pushing on the brake and pulling on the parking brake lever. Hope that helps you!