Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Volvo S80 T6 query

Old 04-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo S80 T6 query

Hi everyone,
My sister bought a 2001 S80 T6 the other day with 200,000km that needs a little tidy up.
Name:  8xeJXZv.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  151.1 KB
Name:  AwiqSco.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  147.0 KB

Mechanically unmolested however it started leaking from the water pump and the timing belt + tensioner is pretty worn. I am about to fit a new kit as soon as it comes from the US.

It's an Australian spec car, I am wondering what this component on the right side of engine near some coolant pipes is?? Appears cracked off. Is it a vacuum line?

Name:  q6L4Srx.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  139.4 KB

Also the heater core was clamped off due to presumed blockage. I accidentally snapped the black plastic elbow fitting that goes into the firewall towards midline of the engine. Is it stupidly expensive to replace?

I installed the Vida Vadis software but there is only like 3 pages of info for the S80??? There is no info for timing belt, etc. Only how to do valve clearances, and few minimal things.
Did I do something wrong?

Name:  ghEzROT.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  55.3 KB
Name:  FsCzsbx.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  102.0 KB

Thanks,
Alex

Old 04-20-2014, 02:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that's a gorgeous car for its year.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:25 AM

Hi Alex,

The heater hoses aren't too bad cost-wise and I can do you a really good deal on one of heater hoses as I ended up with two spares - $45 posted within Aust :-) The connectors are brittle with age and almost crumble.

The broken bit looks like a vacuum line restrictor thingy - the other end should be floating around (may be over by the under side of the air filter housing).
See attached pics.

With VADIS try putting in the VIN number rather than selecting options - you might get more data...

Attached Thumbnails Volvo S80 T6 query-photo-1.jpg   Volvo S80 T6 query-photo-2.jpg  
Old 05-31-2014, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by chrisjh
Hi Alex,

The heater hoses aren't too bad cost-wise and I can do you a really good deal on one of heater hoses as I ended up with two spares - $45 posted within Aust :-) The connectors are brittle with age and almost crumble.

The broken bit looks like a vacuum line restrictor thingy - the other end should be floating around (may be over by the under side of the air filter housing).
See attached pics.

With VADIS try putting in the VIN number rather than selecting options - you might get more data...
Thankyou so much chris!

Regarding the heater hose, which one have you got a spare of?
I've bought the one closer to the middle of the car, the one thats on the left passenger side appears to have been cut down the middle, I think.. Not sure where they plug into. Will have to look.

Underneath the car it looks like the two coolant hoses that go into the sump warming thing are disconnected and plugged...

Old 06-02-2014, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by extermin8tor
Thankyou so much chris!

Regarding the heater hose, which one have you got a spare of?
I've bought the one closer to the middle of the car, the one thats on the left passenger side appears to have been cut down the middle, I think.. Not sure where they plug into. Will have to look.

Underneath the car it looks like the two coolant hoses that go into the sump warming thing are disconnected and plugged...
No worries, welcome to the joys of S80 maintenance! ;-)

I have the hose you've already bought! Murphy's Law...

If it helps, the hose you've got goes to a metal coolant pipe that runs around the back of the engine. The other one (it's longer) goes to a small stub pipe on the end of the cylinder head.

The two coolant hoses near the sump go to the oil cooler - which suggests the cooler might be leaking. Or they couldn't be bothered replacing the coolant hoses. If the cooler is bypassed, a bit of hose should connect both pipes so the coolant can still circulate. The cooler hoses are pretty cheap from FCP Groton etc. Bear in mind the cooler has two seals between it and the sump that need replacing if you pull it off. Plus you'll need to drain the oil first...

Cheers,

Chris