Volvo S90 & V90 Returning for 2017, This sleek full sized sedan mixes luxury with a sporty look.

rough idle and pinging S90

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough idle and pinging S90

hey new to the forum and really need some help with my beloved 97 s90

i was on my home from work one night and was attempting an 'Italian tune' running it at 5k+ and over the coarse of about 10sec it went from normal loud pinging and a loss in power. pulled over and it stalled at 1k. got it started again and limped it home. the next day i check the oil and there was none...
i had just topped it of less than 1000 mi prior. so 6qts later were back at top of the dip stick. knock sensor is picking up a misfire in cyc 4 & 5 as well as a random interval misfire. not sure if its actually misfiring or not, i did replace the spark plugs to no avail. also i brought it up to temp yesterday and smoke/oily steam was coming from the dipstick tube. have not been able to do a compression test yet but i was wondering if anyone could help push me in the right direction. it does have a vacuum issue as well and i totally confused by the vac system i havent seen any clear diagrams yet.

any help would be great, would love to get the old girl back on the road.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:53 PM

Wow, where to start...

Where did your oil go?
- is it showing a lot of blue smoke on acceleration? On start-up?
- is there oil in your coolant?
- are there 6L of oil on your driveway? Is it dripping / leaking?

How healthy is your PCV system?

Any signs of overheating?

Old 12-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Bricked, welcome to the forum.

Step #1, do a compression test. Low compression causes misfires. Sounds like you blew a RMS. If your breater system is clogged and you put your foot in it, it will likely blow seals.

How long have you had this car?

Old 12-23-2012, 12:19 AM

hey thank you for the feedback

and to answer tosoutherncars
no blue smoke at all, coolant is clean, no leaks to speak of.
i refilled it and it doesn't seem to be leaking at all...
i pulled the intake hoses to inspect the throttle body and it was caked in oil, also had a small pool in the bottom of the intake manifold. it seems to becoming from the PCV tube, and the flame trap is caked as well. when i pulled the tube off the intake hose is was smoking as was the dip stick.

and i will hopefully be getting a compression test gauge soon. If it is a RMS what are my options i hear its a pricey fix. still not sure where my oil went other than though my PCV i guess.

i have had my volvo for 3 years and havent treated her as good as i should have. i didnt know much about volvo's when i got the car, and if can get her back on the road plan to treat her right.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:10 PM

well thanks for the input guys, but i killed my car. moving it for the plow the other day herd a loud bank and she stopped dead. by the time i got out to check there was already a puddle of oil on the ground. didnt even bother trying it again. so on a very sour note any one need a 97 S90 parts car :-(((