Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

extended warranty - opinions/comments?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extended warranty - opinions/comments?

hi,
i just bought a used 2006 S40 with 51,700 miles on it (switched from a 1994 Honda Accord EX with 110,000 miles). the original factory warranty has expired already, but the previous owner had bought it CPO, and it still carries the CPO warranty for two more years (which i plan to transfer to my name). however, i'm planning to buy an extended warranty for it to cover parts that the CPO warranty does not cover. i already talked to CARCHEX and Warranty Direct, but their coverages and prices do differ a lot. i have also found a lot of complaint records online for both of them. does anybody have any experience with these two companies?

i will call the Volvo dealer in town tomorrow to ask for the possibility of extending the factory warranty (i know that it should be done before the original warranty expires, but maybe there is some room/flexibility). is the TotalCare VIP Plan the extension of the factory warranty and is backed by Volvo itself or is it administered through a third-party company?
thanks a lot for your help

Old 09-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i called the Volvo dealer in town and one dealer in another town. they both said that i am not eligible for a extended factory warranty since my car has passed the 50,000 miles limit and then suggested that i get a third-party extended warranty.

i also did some more research on warranties sold by CARCHEX and Warranty Direct, and it seems that they do indeed try very hard to deny claims as best as they can. i talked to the customer service reprentatives of both companies extensively and asked them a lot of questions, and once i started to ask more about the details, they started to give vague answer. i don't know, this business seems too shady. i'd rather not spend that much money on something that is not going be useful at all.

i hope i'm making a right decision...