Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

2000 V40-T4 Won't / No Start after Head Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 V40-T4 Won't / No Start after Head Gasket Replacement

Hi,

2000 V40-T4 Won't / No Start after Head Gasket Replacement,

Starter motor is engaged, fuel is delivered, coils all measure approx 0.70 ohms, there is spark (at least to cylinders no's# 1 & 2 - have not checked no's# 3 & 4 i.e the coils for actual spark at cylinders 3 & 4).

My compression gauge which I've never used before showed no signs of compression but when tested on an air compressor gradually ramped up to 6 bar without a problem - (indicating at least to me that the gauge is O.K)

Upon start-up, when cranking ... it sounds like there's little or almost no compression ... just an electric sound (of the electric drive components such as the starter motor driving the belts).

Timing belt when put on by mechanic was supervised by 2 more mechanically minded individuals - and checked and re-checked against old markings and seems all good.

The Head was shaved, but NOT re-conditioned OR crack-tested ... even so ... it will not totally crumble, it will still start but run rough if valves weren't seated right or head was cracked...

When cranking... it makes a (Start -ON (belt-drive electric sound) ... ... ... "P" (belt-drive electric sound)... ... .. "P" (belt-drive electric sound)... ... .. "P" (belt-drive electric sound)... ... ... etc.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

Old 11-21-2015, 08:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymite

Hi,

2000 V40-T4 Won't / No Start after Head Gasket Replacement,

Starter motor is engaged, fuel is delivered, coils all measure approx 0.70 ohms, there is spark (at least to cylinders no's# 1 & 2 - have not checked no's# 3 & 4 i.e the coils for actual spark at cylinders 3 & 4).

My compression gauge which I've never used before showed no signs of compression but when tested on an air compressor gradually ramped up to 6 bar without a problem - (indicating at least to me that the gauge is O.K)

Upon start-up, when cranking ... it sounds like there's little or almost no compression ... just an electric sound (of the electric drive components such as the starter motor driving the belts).

Timing belt when put on by mechanic was supervised by 2 more mechanically minded individuals - and checked and re-checked against old markings and seems all good.

The Head was shaved, but NOT re-conditioned OR crack-tested ... even so ... it will not totally crumble, it will still start but run rough if valves weren't seated right or head was cracked...

When cranking... it makes a (Start -ON (belt-drive electric sound) ... ... ... "P" (belt-drive electric sound)... ... .. "P" (belt-drive electric sound)... ... .. "P" (belt-drive electric sound)... ... ... etc.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...
Do crank/cams turn by hand?

Last edited by pierremcalpine; 11-21-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes they did - and still do...

even after we just re-adjusted the timing belt where all the marks on the belt coincide with the marks on the gears and the guide marks on the plastic camshaft covers...

I'm guessing with so little margin for clearances we may have bent the valves if the camshaft was moved or turned or not installed back in sync with the camshaft - although I remember when we put the head back on, the outer (Number#'s 1 & 4 ) were at TOP position while the middle two (#'s 2 & 3) were at down position.