Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

2004 vvt 1.8 wobbling

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 vvt 1.8 wobbling

Hi, UK member seeking advice.

My mother's v40 (the earlier model) on a 1.8 has developed a nasty engine knock at the top of the engine. They were driving it for weeks and have reported that it has got worse....

I took the engine cover off and did the vvt check where you disconnect the vvt solenoid and the noise is supposed to stop which is then a positive diagnosis.

The nose remained, but when I looked at the vvt pulley it is noticeably wobbling where the non vvt pulley is as smooth as silk.

I immediately turned the car off and instructed them not to drive or turn the car on at all.

I am about to have it recovered to a garage for the vvt pulley repair. And will order a part online.

The advice I need is if this is just the vvt pulley or not, or even something else that is wrong as I can't find anywhere online where they have a vvt pulley actually wobbling like this.

All guides suggest is the noise doesn't stop when you disconnect the solenoid then it's not the pulley.

Thanks in advance

Klunk

Old 04-27-2015, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

check out the S40 board, there's some very detailed threads on the VVT pulley - including some with pics. Other than the noise and disturbing wobble, did you have any other issues like oil leaks? Was the car recently serviced for a timing belt etc where the tech could have failed to torque down the bolts holding the pulley in place? All things considered, if you haven't done the timing belt in recent memory, this is a good time to do that as they should be changed around 75K miles or 7 years... Smart to not run the engine - these are "interference" engines meaning if the pulley broke or jumped cam timing, you could damage the exhaust valves and pistons...

Old 04-28-2015, 02:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mt6127
check out the S40 board, there's some very detailed threads on the VVT pulley - including some with pics. Other than the noise and disturbing wobble, did you have any other issues like oil leaks? Was the car recently serviced for a timing belt etc where the tech could have failed to torque down the bolts holding the pulley in place? All things considered, if you haven't done the timing belt in recent memory, this is a good time to do that as they should be changed around 75K miles or 7 years... Smart to not run the engine - these are "interference" engines meaning if the pulley broke or jumped cam timing, you could damage the exhaust valves and pistons...
Thanks I'll have a look.

No, a slight bit of oil around the pulley but it hasn't been to a mechanic thus year so that's ruled out.

The wobbling appears be eccentric rather than lateral if that makes sense.