Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

Bizzare "Low Washer Fluid Level" warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bizzare "Low Washer Fluid Level" warning

I have the most bizzare problem, would be interested in hearing peoples comments/suggestions...

Bought the V40 a couple of weeks back and, so far, it's been an absolute star. The car came with a couple of problems, the majority of which were incredibly easy to fix (i.e. reversing lights not working, so replaced the fuse). However, theres one which is bugging the hell out of me and I'm stumped.

The Low Washer Fluid warning light keeps blinking on and off while I'm driving. It's behaving exactly like it would if its borderline fluid level (i.e. comes on going up hill, when changing gears, braking, etc). However, the fluid level is full.

I stripped things down at the weekend, couldn't find a problem, so ended up just pulling the leads off the sensor and leaving them floating. I thought this should either turn the warning on permanently, or turn it off permanently. No chance: it's still blinking as before.

This leaves a couple of possibilities:

a). there are more than one fluid warning sensors. I pulled the one from the inner wheelarch nearest the road wheel. Definately a sender, not a water pump.
b). I've got a short somewhere in the wiring loom. I'm buggered if I know where to start here: does anyone know if these warning lights go through any more connectors before the ecu/dash?
c). The ecu/dash is rogered.
d). This warning light is also used for another purpose.

Ideas/Suggestions/Help!!!!

Mat