Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

Codes P0015, P0133, P0301, P0304 Rough run, PCV changed

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Codes P0015, P0133, P0301, P0304 Rough run, PCV changed

I had v40 codes read because of rough running. P0015, P0133, P0301, P0304 showed. As I removed the engine cover, I saw oil all over the top of the head. I replaced coil pack 1, cleaned top of engine, and then read about the PCV system. Took the PCV box out, it was full. Passage into block cleaned out, replaced box and upper hose, cleaned out other hoses. Started car, ran well for a few minutes. I took it for a short ride (2 miles). Ran fine until accelerating over hill, then loss of power and rough running. Made it back home. We dropped oil pan and cleaned out port in pan and in block. Took out PTC valve and cleaned. Passage seems CLEAR. Car still is running rough, and smoking from dipstick. Cannot get O2 sensor loose. I have not had a compression test done. Replaced Camshaft Position sensor, but not the trigger wheel. Tried unplugging the MAF sensor, O2 sensor, MAP sensor, IAT sensor. No difference. Any ideas??? Please... I don't want it to be the rings.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

why would you think of the rings? the P0015 is telling you the VVT is not working right. This can be caused by the sensor or the oil passages clogging up or the unit failing in some other way. If this sets the engine mix off, then you can get other faults like the O2 sensor being out of range (not due to the sensor being bad - just it can't compensate for another part's failure) and you may get misfires (mixture is off). I'd be looking at getting the VVT to be code free as the first priority and check the MAF to make sure the PCV issue didnt dirty up the intake. Start with a simple MAF cleaner and do the MAF, Idle air valve and throttle body as best you can, but I'm thinking the VVT is the fault.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:14 PM

The car sounds the same when I pull the connection to the VVT Solenoid. Does that rule out this as a source of the issue? Also tested for continuity with multimeter set on "sound". I am cleaning the VVT to see if that helps at all. I will clean the MAF and the IAT as well.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

the VVT can be stuck in one position so cleaning may help.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:39 AM

Okay, I have replaced VVT solenoid with one from junkyard, but checked and cleaned it to be sure it works properly. Still smoking from dipstick, oil and smoke from filler cap. Put Seafoam in oil filler (1/2 can), and have run a few times since. Replaced O2 sensors. Just pulled plugs which my hubby insisted should be fine. Oil is on them and they are incredibly fouled. Should I continue or am I just wasting money?

Old 07-19-2016, 03:05 PM
Default Update on blowby issue

Okay, I've changed the spark plugs which were fouled terribly and had oil on them. Car sounds much better, but still smoking from dipstick and (I think) has positive pressure. Put new gasket on oil cap and that has stopped leaking oil. I'm going to do the glove test again to make sure about the pressure. Any other ideas???

Old 07-22-2016, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like its time for you to replace the PCV hoses and oil trap. Once they clog up, they will push positive pressure up the filler cap gasket (thus oil on top of the head) and will push smoke out the dipstick since it doesn't get sucked back into the intake. Best address this sooner rather than later as its a common root cause for cam seal leaks.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:43 AM

We replaced the oil trap and cleaned out all of the hoses, the port through the block, pulled and cleaned the PTC valve, and dropped the oil pan and cleaned that out. When I blow through the hose to the top of the engine, I can feel air come through the dipstick tube. I have been told that this means the PCV is clear all the way.

I am now seeing white or grey smoke (not dark) from tailpipe. I did put Seafoam in oil filler cap, but NOT through vacuum hose. The car runs smoothly, but still has smoke, air through the dipstick tube. I am thinking of doing a compression test next. I have tried to reset the check engine light by pulling fuses and touching battery cables. The light will not go off.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

fault codes are stored in memory - you need an ODB2 code reader to clear them. A big box auto parts store will usually read/clear codes for free or rent you a code reader.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:24 PM

Thanks! Cleared the codes at advance. I think I found out why I still have smoke/air coming out of the dipstick. The little vacuum hose that goes from the breather box to the intake manifold on the passenger side appears to be blocked. I tried to blow through it by attaching a hose to it after removing it from manifold. I should be able to blow through this, correct? I cannot. I am trying to find a way of clearing this hose without removing the whole amnifold again. Any ideas?

Old 08-31-2016, 04:28 PM

Smoke from the dip stick is a sign the PCV needs service, It may not yet be bad enough to inflate your glove on the oil fill side.
If it comes out the dip stick its pointing towards the beginning of your system being clogged, once the oil fill starts inflating the glove up top the entire system start to end is clogged and not functioning at all.
Also, I've seen were once the Glove up top on the oil fill starts to inflate the smoke from the dip stick tube actually goes away its to clogged up to smoke out of the tube sometimes.

Good news if the tube smokes and the glove wont inflate your PCV isn't in that bad of shape yet basically.

See what you can do about getting that first hose from the intake manifold un-blocked.
The PCV box you said (breather box) is indeed under the intake manifold and its a pita to get out (Atleast on my 1999 S80 it is).

If its at the point of pulling the box for cleaning, once you have the intake manifold off its almost just worth replacing the system entirely because of the amount of work required if the cleaning doesn't fix anything.
I pulled my box because I had it open for an alternator change, But now I'm probably going to just replace the whole system, I wish I had just replaced it the 1st time I had it open.

Last edited by DonVanhugenstein; 08-31-2016 at 04:31 PM.