Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

Problems with 1.9D engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with 1.9D engine

Hey guys, i'm new to here. Sorry for bad english. So, 2 months ago I bought pre-owned 2003 Volvo V40 1.9D and later I saw that it has some serious problems. The engine wasn't working well. I was pressing the pedal to the bottom, and engine gained revs very slowly, it had ticking sound, black smoke, so took car to some service, i thought there are some problems with EGR valve, and thought that turbo isn't working. So they made something, checked everything, that car began to work fine, but only from 2500 revs. Whatever. Now i drove about 800km and problem came back again, it is that, the engine is ticking as hell and car isn't gaining speed at all, fuel consumption is about 10l/100km! It must be around 7.5l/100km. And the engine is shaking when I'm pressing the pedal 'stronger'. But it works VERY GOOD when it just starts.
Interesting fact: when I turn off the engine for 5sec and turn it on again - everything is ok for 1-2minute, and later ir shakes/smokes/eats fuel again... then I turn it off again, turn it on - everything is ok again for a few minutes... Any ideas? I can record it on camera and put it here. Firstly I thought, that there's something inside the engine, like damaged pistons, but... it works GOOD when it's just started. Now i'm confused.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:03 PM

How did u buy the car w/o driving ? ITS 1.9t NOT d, T OR t FOR TURBO

I bought V40. yr 200, under 90k...a yr ago.
It runs fine except NO heat now....and some pressure from Crank case seen at the oil cap...area.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:53 AM

I drove it, but after 2 days I realised that there was something wrong. Firstly everything was kinda okey. It's 1.9D, I meant it's DIESEL. 1.9D 85kw 115hp Renault F9Q engine.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:00 AM

u ve a diesel V 40 with a Renault engine...?
Never heard of Volvo using a Renault engine.

U probably bought for mpg....nearly 40 mpg pr so, but got to recognize the cost of diesel, poor acceleration....and non-availability of diesel every where when u re travelling on a hwy.
Im not into diesels or can give much suggestions ...BUT
..seems there is a control of injection or mixture for air temp, that is not functioning when warmed up, to prove it more u can see ts not the time after start, its the cold temp of air which seems to agree with the injection system.

So on a very cold day like 20F..u may find after the start it runs ok longer.

Do you ve a hot air [exchanged from exhaust], mix into air intake..?
Do you ve a MAF sensor..?

Old 01-12-2012, 04:49 PM

Well, there's is Renault diesel engines on V40 diesel. You see, i'm from europe (eastern), so diesel engines ar popular here, and everything is ok with fuel availability. Yes, I bought it because of mpg, because at the moment I don't have a lot of money (student ).
I have replaced new MAF sensor month ago, or so, because there was NO sensor at all. o_O Firstly I thought that's its problems with MAF, but nope. On very cold day - engine works a lot better, until it reaches normal temperature. Some guys made me diagnostics, and told that there are problems with air flow, so they tried to do something with it, did all they could, but the problem anyway wasn't completely solved.
Hot air mix intake? You meen exhaust gas recirculation or something like that? Those mechanics checked it too, because I thought that it's this things fault too, but everything is ok with it.
Btw, thanks for answering

Old 10-10-2012, 11:45 PM

Someone help I cNt make a post and want to know what kind of exhaust to get for my 1.9t wagon