Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Considering a V50 T5, have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Considering a V50 T5, have a few questions

V50 T5 - what's the deal?

My wife is thinking about replacing her trusty 2005 Civic with a wagon of some sort. I already own a Saab 9-2x Aero and thought it'd be comic if we had two competing not-100%-Swedish wagons in the driveway and got her a V50 T5.

I've owned one Volvo before, an 88 744 Turbo, and while it was occasionally charming to drive I was happy to get rid of it at the end. I didn't find the experience to be worth the maintenance effort and cost. I also helped a friend tune an 854 T5 up to ~400 BHP and raced it with him a few times. I appreciate Volvos but would not consider myself a fan or loyalist of the brand - I am not looking at V50 the car because it is a Volvo.
I am looking at the V50 because I want something safe, comfortable/quasi-luxurious (the Saab's interior isn't terribly nice or quiet), and reasonably fun to drive. Its primary purpose would be very short trips around town (my wife doesn't drive much) and longer road trips up and down the interstate. Its secondary purpose would be hauling our future kid and all the accoutrements that entails, and possibly a dog.

I haven't driven one yet because none have shown up for sale in my area over the past few months, so I thought I'd possibly save some time by asking the board a few questions:

1) How nice is the interior, actually? To me it looks nice in photos but I've spotted some gripes about interior quality here.

2) How does it handle and drive? I've seen complaints about this as well.

3) AT vs MT? I prefer MT but my wife might insist on an AT. Is the AT super problematic?

4) What about all the other issues with the car? I hear of random needs to reflash tranny and ECU, various front end problems, engine problems, etc. Is there a comprehensive list somewhere?

5) I'm a shadetree mechanic; can I do most of the work on the car myself? How expensive are parts?

6) What problems have you had with your car? In your opinion, is the car worth all the reliability issues I see mentioned on the internet? If so, why?
I guess I should summarize that my primary concern is how much of a headache this car will be. As I've mentioned before, I didn't find my 744 to be worth it. I've owned German cars before and don't mind doing preventive maintenance or otherwise fixing things if the car makes up for it in performance and/or comfort. I'm just not sure about the value/lifestyle proposition of V50 ownership, so I'm hoping you guys can fill me in.

I also hope nobody takes my questions as a critique of their particular car choices; we all love different cars and all have good reasons for doing so - preferences vary from person to person, so I'm trying to see if a V50 aligns with mine.

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2014, 06:01 PM

Bump - same situation here, looking to buy and these are quite relevant questions for me.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:45 AM

Answers to #1, 2, & 3 are personal. You'll have to decide for yourself.

#4: A) Electric gremlins: I've hit unlocking gremlins where the car refused to respond to my remote, then cured itself after I "broke into" the car using the blade key.

B) Sunroof drains: the sunroof uses a system of drains at each corner or an open gutter. Any clogs of separated tubes can result in flooding. Easy DIY maintenance.

#5) While the engine layout is, um, "compact," mechanical work is straightforward and VERY rewarding compared to paying 6X the parts cost at a dealer. (e.g. spark plugs are $60 per set, or $280 to have a dealer replace them.) Parts costs are "up there," but they are for all cars. Browse tascaparts.com for a preview. I just priced a timing belt, and it was abut the same as I paid for a Chevy Aveo timing belt kit.

You will want to get a DiCE / VIDA diagnostic system. It costs about what a single dealer visit costs and gives you an encyclopedia of parts, troubleshooting, and repair procedures for all Volvos. You will still need to go to a dealer for software updating.

#6: I have been catching up on "deferred maintenance" issues from my PO over the last six months, but I am happy with the solidity and spirit of my V50. Check TrueDelta -- Real Car Owners Driving Real Car Information for other reviews. Remember that there are 50 happy placid owners for each one of us internet hogs.

Last edited by mf70; 06-16-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-14-2014, 01:28 PM

I have just recently purchased a used 2006 v50 T5 AWD... the driveshaft went out, the motor mounts were replaced, and it is in the shop right now for the engine oil trap being clogged. From what I have been reading is those problems are all common for this vehicle. Dealer repaired, this thing would have run about 4K... total for parts (on my receipt) was about 1100.

The interior of mine is a bit "tight" I'm 6'2", and I wish the seats went back just a little further, but it's not uncomfortable to drive...

This car (if you get the t5) is sporty as hell! Pretty fun to drive, if you want it to be.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with my purchase (so far)

Old 04-14-2015, 08:14 PM
mxo

I can share my experience with 1,2,3 & 6. I've had other Volvos - 944, 855T, XC70 in that order. I still have XC70 and that's been the most reliable and trouble free Volvo (or any other car) I've had so far, so that's my golden standard. My parents also had 244, 964 and S60.

1. Compared to XC70, V50 is more compact, my interior is T-Tec so doesn't feel that luxurious at all. Seat comfort is still there and I have no issue with my bad back.

2. Handling is sportier. Steering is much more responsive than any other car or Volvos I had except 855T. On highway, I have to be much more careful to stay in the lane when I take my eyes off the road to diddle with the radio switch. Mine is MT, so it picks up fast. I like that.

3. Again, mine is MT. I sought out V50 AWD MT specifically. I live in New England, so wanted an AWD. Wanted versatility of a wagon (too compact, though), and MT so my son can learn how to drive stick. If I didn't want MT, not sure if I would've bought this model.

6. Only had it for a few months so too early to tell, but so far I like its peppiness. What I hate the most is the smell the previous owner left behind by shampooing the interior - left it wet. Not a lot of storage, even in the back. No good place for sunglasses. Minor things.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:17 AM

Couple of points;
I'd be very cautious about buying a used MT. U never know how the previous owner rode the clutch. I bought a used A4 and despite a positive inspection, 6 months later the clutch had to be replaced.
The t5 AWD is great in my climate. I have 18 inch summers amd it handles quite nicely.
Great traction in the winter too.
I've drivem MT my whole life but don't mind the AT with tip tropic on the v50. Handles well and with the Heico exhaust I get a nice growl from the engine.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:48 AM

Briefly owned a 2006 V50 T5 FWD with the 6 speed. Smoothest shifting car I've ever driven. Traded for a 2007 V50 T5 with automatic and the Dynaudio stereo, plus the larger outside mirrors. The Dynaudio is wonderful, the big mirrors (now with blue tint Euro-asymmetric mirrors) are a necessity.