Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Thick smoke from under the engine

Old 03-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thick smoke from under the engine

I’ve got some thick smoke coming out from under the car. It’s not been like this before. It might be because I drove over a piece of ice the other day, but I’ve done that before. The smoke comes from under the car, right under the engine, just between the front wheels. It seems to stop after I’ve driven for a while. Do you guys think it’s because the car is cold (living in Norway), or due to a damage? Maybe a damage to the exhaust pipe? Please see the attached image.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:28 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

That could be from a lot of things. Really the only way to know for sure is to crawl under there and take a look - I'm betting it'll be VERY obvious.

My guesses...
1) Best case - you ran over something like a big plastic bag, and it's caught on your exhaust (doubt that would keep smoking for more than a couple drives though)
2) You ruptured a transmission or oil line (maybe from hitting ice?) and it's dripping on the exhaust
3) There is a very small Rastafarian living under your car. ;-)

Old 03-02-2019, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by habbyguy
That could be from a lot of things. Really the only way to know for sure is to crawl under there and take a look - I'm betting it'll be VERY obvious.

My guesses...
1) Best case - you ran over something like a big plastic bag, and it's caught on your exhaust (doubt that would keep smoking for more than a couple drives though)
2) You ruptured a transmission or oil line (maybe from hitting ice?) and it's dripping on the exhaust
3) There is a very small Rastafarian living under your car. ;-)
Haha, most likely the third. I guess I’ll have to check it out then, if the issue persists. Or book an inspection. Thanks, man!

Old 02-15-2021, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by eriksmoe

Haha, most likely the third. I guess I’ll have to check it out then, if the issue persists. Or book an inspection. Thanks, man!
​​​​​​I know it's some time since you had the issue but I am curious if you found out what the problem was.

I have a C30 that seems to behave the same. When cold outside, some minutes after start, there's a lot of smoke coming out from under the car. Like a lot!!

Some minutes after the smoke stops... Cars seems to run normal and no weird smoke on the exhaust...

Oil and coolant levels seem ok also.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:52 AM

The smoke is most probable caused by the auxiliary heater (Fuel-driven additional heater) which gets clogged. As I read it should start on temperatures below 5 Celsius. If it is clogged it makes a lot of smoke coming from under the car, near the front left wheel.

Old 11-24-2022, 05:44 AM

Thanks John82, I think you may have nailed it.! Do you or anyone know if this part need to be replaced or can it be unclogged?

Old 11-24-2022, 09:14 AM

Hi,

The easy fix is to disable it by taking out the corresponding fuse. This is what I did and ran with the car the whole winter without any problems.

Unfortunately, I can't remember which fuse was and I've sold the car meanwhile.

But I remember I found it by simply going through the fuse diagram and then it took 30sec to take it out . Was annoyed by how easy it was for a problem that haunted me for 2 years and 2 dealers couldn't fix it...

Good luck and post here if you manage to find it so others may find the response easier in the future.

Old 11-24-2022, 09:16 AM

Ha, found it : https://fuse-box.info/volvo/volvo-c30-2007-2013-fuses

It's fuse 21 apparently.