Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Turbo Lag/Engine Hesitation upon Accel/Cruising

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Lag/Engine Hesitation upon Accel/Cruising

Greetings all,

I'm running an '05 T5 AWD 6-Speed Manual with 99K miles. I've been the owner about 2 years and put 20K miles on it. Thus far the only issues I've had have been some faulty washer fluid nozzles. Figures something fishy starts happening now.

The problem:
I've noticed that once the engine warms up, I am getting random pauses in acceleration. It feels too sudden and forceful to be turbo lag. It's almost like it lurches or pauses, but for just a second and then picks back up. It's most noticeable at HWY cruising speeds, but I've noticed it in lower gears as well.

My only guess is that there's an issue with the turbo bearing? The previous owner had it replaced at about 50K miles to the tune of $1500.

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of issue?

Thanks,

Bradley

Old 12-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

99% of the time people tend to go straight to the turbo must be the problem
i have an 04 60 2.5T and im at 110000miles and turbo is still going strong
a 50k mile tune up for it seems weird to me the are very good in these volvos

whats the service history, spark plugs, oil changes, fule system servicing?

change your plugs out
air filters and oil

check your timing belt give it a good once over to check for any little thing like a loose wire harness

also you can hook it up to a scanner and monitor things like fuel pressure make shure its not the pump

Old 12-08-2011, 06:44 PM

You're right, my impulse is turbo, mainly because of the previous bearing issue. Yet there's no rattling, pinging, or strange whistling sound. So you're probably right that it's a firing issue.

I'm pretty good on my regular maintenance. Full synthetic 10-40 oil every 5K-7500 miles. Air filters maintained regularly. Etc.

I wish I had the time and energy to get under the hood myself. With a toddler and full time day job, the time just gets away from me. I'm taking it in to a local shop tomorrow am. Volvo's recommended service intervals for 90/105K seem to indicate spark plugs, fuel filter and timing belt are getting close to due or slightly overdue. For some reason I think spark plugs may have been skipped at 90K service. Something probably isn't firing.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like sparkplugs or possibly coils to me. If you replace the plugs, go with the Volvo plugs.
Stan

Old 12-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

some info about spark plugs which I didn't believe till I experienced it myself, with turbo Volvos they need to be changed every 35k miles
also when you gap them keep them on the low side I believe its a gap between .028-.030 the turbo tends to blow out the spark and you can get "turbo fluttering"

I always get NGK Gold double platinum, they are about 5 bucks each and rly work great!

Old 12-10-2011, 09:49 PM

I replaced my Volvo plugs with Volvo plugs after 65K miles. They still looked pretty good but the car does run a little smoother. Mine is all stock. It may matter more if you are running a tune.
Stan

Old 12-13-2011, 02:17 AM
Default Turbo Lag

Hey Bradley im a new member but an ASE certified volvo tech. It sounds to me like ur spark plugs are starting to go bad. Turbo problems will not cause that. The major service should be done every 30K miles. Go with volvo plugs. volvos dont like aftermarket plugs. OEM are always the best. You should get the car scanned. Your car stores codes event if the check engine light is not on. If your in southern california then I would recommend that you take it to a shop in harbor city called Swedish car clinic. They are great shop. Oh and at 105K your T-belt is due.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 AM

From everyone I've spoken to, it sounds like it's either plugs, coils, or the fuel filter. The guy around the corner also confirmed what I suspected. New brakes and rotors, too. With all four corners off to do the brakes, it probably would be wise to replace the struts, and with the timing belt around the corner I'm looking at 2K+ in maintenance.

Since moving to LA last month I've been using my bike to commute to work and this is our second car. My wife and I have agreed to become a one car family and keep our V70 and sell rather than put more money into the V50 that won't be driven like it ought to.

That said, is there anything urgent that makes the car un-sellable that I should address before selling?

Old 12-13-2011, 10:24 PM

How many miles on the car? According to the manual, timing belt at 120K miles.
Stan

Old 12-14-2011, 12:20 AM

99K miles. My manual says timing belt at 105, plugs/tune up at 120.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:51 PM

Well unless any of these guys are Volvo techs like I am, I wouldn't believe what they say. I work on volvos 6 days a week. I have lots of experience. If it was either spark plugs or a coil then it would be a misfire and ur ECM would notice that even if it only did it once and store the code. The fuel pressure sensor won't store the code right away. I live in Long beach and work in harbor city which is not too far from the LA area. If u would much rather keep the car than sell it or if ur looking for a great Volvo tech then I can take care of that for u. My rates are better than any shop around and I can get the parts at my cost. As far as what kind of concerns before selling, I would say safty and drivability issues.