Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Volvo V50 Small EVAP leak P0442 SOLVED!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 05:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo V50 Small EVAP leak P0442 SOLVED!!

I bought a T5 AWD V50 couple weeks ago. Car had a check engine light when i bought it for P0442. Previous owner had changed the gas cap but the code was still coming up. The code would come up either after 50 plus miles or right after a cold start. I decided to do a smoke test to find the leak. The smoke test pretty much consisted of a plastic paint tub with 2 holes in it, a small mattress pump, a cigar, and a spare plastic hose lying around. I can provide more information on how i had it set up if anyone is interested. I smoked tested the car and didn't get any leaks from the usual j hose or evap lines around the leak detection pump. I noticed some smoke escaping from behind the gas tank on the driver side, thought it was just smoke that happened to escape from the paint tub. Decided to get a better look and took off the plastics covering the gas tank, there was also 2 brackets holding the gas tank on both driver and passenger side. It helps to lower to exhaust off the hangers gives it more room for the gas tank to come down. I managed to get my phone above the gas tank to see if i can locate where the smoke is escaping from. i didn't remove the gas tank completely, just loosened it enough to get my hands in there to record with my phone. The car being AWD needs a whole lot to be removed in order to remove the gas tank. Found that the evap line coming from the canister that had look like it had been mangled. I wasn't sure if it had been a rat that got up and chewed the line or it had been yanked, not to sure what happened. I hooked up a fuel line from both ends of the line, i don't remember what size. I figured it be easier to hook up both ends with a new line than to rerun a brand new line. Drove it for a couple days and my evap monitor finally cleared with out a cel. ill post some images for a better look of the line. I tried my best with these images. it was super hard to maneuver my phone in there to take a solid picture. This is above the gas tank on the drivers side.

https://s8.postimg.org/hg8usxqyd/evap_1.jpg

https://s8.postimg.org/pzs8q6jpx/evap_2.jpg

https://s8.postimg.org/ldw4hwy7p/evap_3.jpg

You can see on the third picture where the line should meet but is missing quite a bit of line. I remembered that i did a smoke test on an S60 i had and have memory of smoke coming from the same area, unfortunately i got rid of the car before i was able to fix it so never found out if i had the same issue as this v50. i am almost sure that would have been the same situation. i know evap cel's can be a huge headache, and im not to sure how common this situation is but i hope it helps!

Old 10-04-2021, 05:23 PM
Default Po-442

Originally Posted by Roman Sergeyev
I bought a T5 AWD V50 couple weeks ago. Car had a check engine light when i bought it for P0442. Previous owner had changed the gas cap but the code was still coming up. The code would come up either after 50 plus miles or right after a cold start. I decided to do a smoke test to find the leak. The smoke test pretty much consisted of a plastic paint tub with 2 holes in it, a small mattress pump, a cigar, and a spare plastic hose lying around. I can provide more information on how i had it set up if anyone is interested. I smoked tested the car and didn't get any leaks from the usual j hose or evap lines around the leak detection pump. I noticed some smoke escaping from behind the gas tank on the driver side, thought it was just smoke that happened to escape from the paint tub. Decided to get a better look and took off the plastics covering the gas tank, there was also 2 brackets holding the gas tank on both driver and passenger side. It helps to lower to exhaust off the hangers gives it more room for the gas tank to come down. I managed to get my phone above the gas tank to see if i can locate where the smoke is escaping from. i didn't remove the gas tank completely, just loosened it enough to get my hands in there to record with my phone. The car being AWD needs a whole lot to be removed in order to remove the gas tank. Found that the evap line coming from the canister that had look like it had been mangled. I wasn't sure if it had been a rat that got up and chewed the line or it had been yanked, not to sure what happened. I hooked up a fuel line from both ends of the line, i don't remember what size. I figured it be easier to hook up both ends with a new line than to rerun a brand new line. Drove it for a couple days and my evap monitor finally cleared with out a cel. ill post some images for a better look of the line. I tried my best with these images. it was super hard to maneuver my phone in there to take a solid picture. This is above the gas tank on the drivers side.

https://s8.postimg.org/hg8usxqyd/evap_1.jpg

https://s8.postimg.org/pzs8q6jpx/evap_2.jpg

https://s8.postimg.org/ldw4hwy7p/evap_3.jpg

You can see on the third picture where the line should meet but is missing quite a bit of line. I remembered that i did a smoke test on an S60 i had and have memory of smoke coming from the same area, unfortunately i got rid of the car before i was able to fix it so never found out if i had the same issue as this v50. i am almost sure that would have been the same situation. i know evap cel's can be a huge headache, and im not to sure how common this situation is but i hope it helps!
Could you repost the pictures, They would not load?

Old 10-04-2021, 05:26 PM

Could you repost the pictures, They would not load?? I get a message the says "This site can not be reached" I have a 2006 V-50 T-5 AWD with the same problem, Smoke is coming from behind the left rear wheel.

Thanks - Corky Zaron
corkyzaron@gmail.com